Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you like to tell your family and friends about your pregnancies? What about your children?

I kept our secret the first time around until 3 months, when we told only our parents, and everyone else found out between 5-6 months! This time I feel will be similar...I just cherish that time when this little person is all ours (and like to reduce the time that I'm being prodded for information by the fam lol). Well....I suppose that might change depending on when I start to show. Second time is much earlier, isn't it?
One person I'm dying to tell is my daughter. She will be so excited! But I can't bear it if I had to tell her it didn't work out, so we will wait.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm an early announcer. I can't ever hold onto a secret for long if it's my secret to tell. I'm 8 weeks and I've already told my parents and our kids know as well as our best friends. Waiting a bit longer to make an official announcement.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Usually I tell right away. I told my kids as soon as I can out of the bathroom. My reasoning is that it's already a person, a baby, a pregnancy. So if something bad happens it happens and we deal with it with support and love. Not ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've done it differently with each pregnancy. I have always known people aren't going to be super excited (1st at 19 and single, 2nd just after getting engaged after being together a year, which is too quick in my family's opinion, and very poor, and the third, well, what did we need a third for? Haha) so I'm never super excited to share. At the same time, they are always supporotive and happy-ish so that's nice. Anyhow, this time around my daughter, who is nine, asked to be told after the risk of miscarriage is lower, which I respected. We had our ultrasound today and since everything looked great (!!!!!) we brought balloons home for the kids and told them. We let them tell the grandparents :grin:

Reactions: RileyAnn

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 8 weeks and my children know and a few of my close friends and that's it. I'm honestly not sure when or if we'll tell my IL's. We're not close to them and I don't expect them to be thrilled since it's #5 . I'll probably tell my brother after my first appointment at 11 weeks. I'm not sure when we'll announce to the rest of the world, maybe around Halloween.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Inner circle people know and our 2 year old knows, but we'll wait a few more weeks (13 or 14 weeks) to share publicly. After 3 losses, I prefer that our support system knows from go. Telling our toddler is/was a risk, but it felt right to share the joy in the moment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also wondering when is the best time to make the news public...We've already told our toddler and he is SO excited! We told both sets of parents who are really excited as well. My mother-in-law requested to share the news with her side of the family---so all of them know and then she also told a couple people on my father-in-law's side of the family, but that's it so far. Not sure when we should tell everyone else. I want to spread the news, but I know if I post online about it then co-workers and bosses can see--which means I have to have the 'talk' with bosses before doing any online posts. I wish I could share with everyone outside of work first, but I'm afraid the news will leak to coworkers/bosses before I get the chance to tell them myself...I'll be 10 wks on Tuesday...thoughts?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I told a handful of friends / family right away for support. My mom was very worried for me, but everyone else was supportive. I waited to tell my daughter until after my first ultrasound. I bought her a "big sister" shirt and had her open it. I just hit 13 weeks and we plan on announcing on Facebook tomorrow. I'm anxious as well because we haven't been together that long and things have been rocky between us since we found out. I haven't really talked to anyone in my family about our problems, but he tells his sister everything. So I don't know how supportive either side will be. :(

Either way, I love my little bean already and I'm not ashamed. No point in hiding any longer! Especially since I'm starting to show. D:

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
We told as soon as we confirmed the edd (about 2 weeks after bfp because getting an ultrasound took forever!) - I was 9w3d at that point. We told the kids right away after the bfp & our immediate family. I feel like that if the worse were to happen I'd need the support to deal so I'd rather tell people. Plus I'm HORRIBLE at keeping secrets!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts