Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do typically begin your programs, and/or curriculum?
Where do I find out the nessecary steps to take for registering as a homeschooling family according to my state?

I would love to start a Sonlight pre-k curriculum with dd this fall, as she is turning 4 and I think we need to have a bit of structure in each day.Or at least a set "thing" we are doing or attempting . Just a personal preference, I know, but I would like advice.
For those who have a bit of structure, please inform me!!!thanks!

i know our library has a ton of resources, but I can't find the California homeschool book I checked out for anything

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You can start whenever you like! In my state (FL) your child must be registered with your county's school superintendent when your child turns 6. If you register before that (compulsory education in my state is from 6-16 years old) then you have to get an evaluation.

Registering with my county only means I send in a letter with my child's name, birth date, and address. Nothing else no forms or anything.

Best wishes!

Enjoy your homeschooling freedoms!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 37 mos

·
Registered
974 Posts
If your in CA you don't have to regester till your child is 6. You really don't want to be official before you have to. Once your official you have to "File an annual affidavit with the Superintendent of Public Instruction between October 1 and 15" thats off the HSLDA site.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
We don't have a school year, but families I know who do either start back the week their local public school starts or the Tuesday after Labor Day.

Even though we don't have a school year, my kids like to do something to celebrate their freedom the first week public school starts back.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We school all year (relaxed/classical), taking breaks to go off on tangents or lie around or be sick whenever we feel the need. I send the form to the Board of Education in August, before public school starts, though. So far, it hasn't created a 'grade gap' because we registered as doing K last year, started 1 in May because Bailey was ready to move on and we haven't finished up yet. I suspect, at some point, we'll end up missing a registered grade. Oh, well, it'll keep 'em on their toes, won't it?

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodEats
We school all year (relaxed/classical), taking breaks to go off on tangents or lie around or be sick whenever we feel the need. I send the form to the Board of Education in August, before public school starts, though. So far, it hasn't created a 'grade gap' because we registered as doing K last year, started 1 in May because Bailey was ready to move on and we haven't finished up yet. I suspect, at some point, we'll end up missing a registered grade. Oh, well, it'll keep 'em on their toes, won't it?
thanks everyone!!!!

I think I like the idea of taking breaks when our family needs too as well!

And I like the suggestion of starting after labor day.

Will post more in a bit-kids raiding the fridge...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntLavender
You can start whenever you like! In my state (FL) your child must be registered with your county's school superintendent when your child turns 6. If you register before that (compulsory education in my state is from 6-16 years old) then you have to get an evaluation.

Registering with my county only means I send in a letter with my child's name, birth date, and address. Nothing else no forms or anything.

Best wishes!

Enjoy your homeschooling freedoms!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 37 mos

I'm in Florida too. What do you mean about registering before the age of six means and evaluation? Don't you just register when your child would be starting kindergarten? Mine would be starting K next Fall but won't be 6 until December.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu
i know our library has a ton of resources, but I can't find the California homeschool book I checked out for anything

Ah! California! Great! Go to the HomeSchool Assn. of California site and you'll find detalied answers to your questions about the legalities and a lot more. You'll see, for instance, that "Any child who will be six on or before December 2 of the school year is subject to the compulsory school requirements," so you have a long ways to go before you need to do anything to satisfy the state's compulsory attendance laws:

HSC

After you've looked over the home page, look over in the left hand column and find the title at the top, Empowering Families. Click on that and a whole menu will open. You could also have a paper copy of the Empowering Families booklet sent to your home free of charge - it's a really nice resource.

AND there's an incredible conference coming up in August that HSC puts on in Sacramento - with fun things for the whole family. You can read all about it in the site too. Alfie Kohn and Gordon Neufeld will be some of the keynotes:

HSC's Home=Education Conference

-
Lillian

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J

Ah! California! Great! Go to the HomeSchool Assn. of California site and you'll find detalied answers to your questions about the legalities and a lot more. You'll see, for instance, that "Any child who will be six on or before December 2 of the school year is subject to the compulsory school requirements," so you have a long ways to go before you need to do anything to satisfy the state's compulsory attendance laws:

HSC

After you've looked over the home page, look over in the left hand column and find the title at the top, Empowering Families. Click on that and a whole menu will open. You could also have a paper copy of the Empowering Families booklet sent to your home free of charge - it's a really nice resource.

AND there's an incredible conference coming up in August that HSC puts on in Sacramento - with fun things for the whole family. You can read all about it in the site too. Alfie Kohn and Gordon Neufeld will be some of the keynotes:

HSC's Home=Education Conference

-
Lillian
Wow
Thanks so much! i will be sure to check out that website in full

I guess this year I just want to have something for dd to do and learn while I figure things out, yk? So I'm thinking a good pre-k profgram might help me figure things out, see what works-kind of a year or two of experimentation.I did find my homeschool book from the library, I will have to read that more as well.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
We're starting next Monday. Here in MD, you have to mail in the form 15 days before you begin, so we sent it off July 15th.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
We school year-round and I started, I think, in October about 2 years ago. We just self-pace. The boxed sets are more dependant on the seasons and will organize their material around holidays. We were celebrating Thanksgving in March when we did Calvert K.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lauracd
I'm in Florida too. What do you mean about registering before the age of six means and evaluation? Don't you just register when your child would be starting kindergarten? Mine would be starting K next Fall but won't be 6 until December.
then you have to get an annual evaluation even though your child isn't subject to compulsory education law here in FL!

"Compulsory Attendance Age

According to Florida Statute 232.02 (1) (a)(1), all children between the ages of six and sixteen are required to attend school regularly. If your child turns age six sometime between the beginning of the school year and Feb. 1, then he is required to attend the entire school year and notify the school board."

Since your child will turn 6 between July 31, 2006 (2006 first day of public school) and Feb 1, 2007 you would register that child. You don't just register when your child would be starting kindergarten because some children just turn 5 by Sept 1 (FL's cut-off date for entry) and so it would be too early.

"Florida law (Section 1003.21(1)(a)2, Florida Statutes) specifies that children who have attained the age of five years on or before September 1 of the school year are eligible for admission to public kindergarten during that school year based on rules prescribed by the school board."

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
We school year-round and I started, I think, in October about 2 years ago. We just self-pace. The boxed sets are more dependant on the seasons and will organize their material around holidays. We were celebrating Thanksgving in March when we did Calvert K.

how funny

I am really tempted by the idea of schooling year round. I guess i have the next 2 years to experiment before becoming official.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Just wanted to point out that each state has different laws regarding the date you must register and the age in which you must register. It varies greatly from state to state.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Legally, our attendance dates and record-keeping timing need to correspond with the ps our children would attend. Schools here start the 2nd week of August.

We usually make an official start date that is a little earlier, and all weekdays following are marked as "present", regardless of exactly what we do on thsoe days. They are "here" every day. They are learning every day.

We do some conscious learning through summer. But as August begins, I have been working to organize my thoughts and ideas for for the official school year. We set up a few routines, refresh the art supplies and buy cheap notebooks and glue at the back to school sales, etc. We all talk about things we hope to do. We buy more books now than at other times of the year... including some formal curriculum. My oldest dd is getting into a nice self-initiating habit (our dc went to ps last year). Today she and her sis went on a butterfly walk on their own just to see what butterflies they could see. Later they were looking up birds in a field guide that they saw in the garden. Also they were reading about how to take care of and feed insects IF they catch some and want to keep them to observe for a while. I could say "Hey you wanna write that down, what you found out?" but instead if I want to remember what they did, for recordkeeping, I write it down myself! I used to try to get them to create "artifacts" for portfolios all the time when they did something cool. But it was too much. I am trying to maintain a relaxed attitude as we start our year.

So for me starting the school year means starting to keep records and think in those terms, and for all of us it means going to a co-op, but a lot of what we do for learning stays the same all year around.

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeporgarten
Legally, our attendance dates and record-keeping timing need to correspond with the ps our children would attend. Schools here start the 2nd week of August.
I just wanted to point out to people new to homeschooling that this also varies from state to state. In the state we live in, we have a minimum number of hours per years and they must happen between July 1st of one year and the end of June the next year. The exact school year is determined by the parents.

We moved around a lot and this is our first year to live in state that requires record keeping at all.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeporgarten
Legally, our attendance dates and record-keeping timing need to correspond with the ps our children would attend.
I guess it's good to check your state's laws because this is not true in FL. Some counties here in FL want you to submit your letters and evaluations at a time that is convenient for them but legally they cannot force you to adhere to their suggestions!

Here in Seminole County FL school starts TOMORROW July 31!! (It's the earliest in FL.)

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntLavender
I guess it's good to check your state's laws...
Oh, mygosh, it's absolutely crucial! The laws from state to state can bear very little resemblance to one another. These are great resources to check through. I think it's a good idea to check more than one source, just to make sure you're understanding it all, since the language may be expressed slightly differently:

Home Education Magazine

National Home Education Network

A to Z - look over on the left to find your state

- Lillian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts