Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted below about thinking we had thrush...nope, just the beginning of mastitis

I am in tons of pain, woke up with a fever of 102.5 (been running a 101 fever all day yesterday), and my breasts are hot and red (well, one more than the other). I got this so many times with my dd I can't even count - and my temp ALWAYS hit 104 + (I can only expect the same thing to happen this time).

Is this beyond home treatment? I absolutely hate going to docs, but we're going on vacation in a week and I really need to get better fast.

Also, if I do get prescribed antibiotics, would it be silly to continue taking my probiotics at the same time? It seems the anti would just kill it off. Is it better to take them after the antibiotics are done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
well, I has mastitis 2 months ago and did treat it with antibiotics, in fact, I tried amoxicillin and after 2 days on that they put me on a stronger one. I had 104 fever, chills, felt AWFUL, and the antibiotics made me feel great after 2 doses...

I think, IMO, because of your high fever and your symptoms, you should probably see your doc or midwife. one of my midwives (there were 3 in the practice) was very natural and didn't want to give me anything, but I insisted because I felt like crap and how are you supposed to take good care of your children, take care of your infected breast (you have to try to keep it empty by nursing or pumping on that side, also take hot showers and press on the lumps that you have, it helps them dissolve)
so I could not have done it without antibiotics. especially since dh works all day and I am home with my kiddos.

I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My rule of thumb is the fever, if it's as high as yours and it's been going on for more than 24 hours you should see the dr.

There's nothing wrong with taking probiotics and antibiotics at the same time. If you can remember to do so, try to take them as far away from each other as possible (i.e. if you have to take an antibiotic every 8 hours, take the probiotics 4 hours later -- that's 4 hours before the next dose of meds).

And you can continue the home remedies as well, there's no need to discontinue if they give you comfort until the meds kick in.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have always thought that if you think you have it, you need to get treated because it can get worse. I had it and waited. Because I took no action early, it became very bad and I was in bed for a week w/ fevers, chills, and other flu like symptoms. Plus, I had plugged ducts (with NO MILK coming out), red hot breasts and was too weak to even attempt to nurse or pump. My DH actually had to hold the horns for me while I pumped (good DH...lol).

It is my understanding that Mastisis has to be treated w/ an antibiotic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I called the doc for an appt, luckily they can get me in today

Probiotics basically put the good bacteria that keeps you healthy back into your gut that antibiotics kill off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.