Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS2 is 5 weeks old now and I feel like he just gets dragged all over town as we go about the day with DS1. I can not remember when DS1 established or had the beginnings of a nap routine. When does this happen again? Sometimes I feel so out of sync with this my baby because the day presses on regardless of his napping, like I don't know how long he would normally sleep because its always disrupted.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts

Or...it doesn't. Both of my boys napped on the go. In the car. In the Bjorn or backpack. Stroller.

They're 3 & 5 now and incredibly happy, well adjusted & active still. Don't tie yourself down to what the books or elders tell you. Just do what feels right for you and ds.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I'm not worried about "schedules" etc.
Maybe its just still the early adjustment time but sometimes I wonder what the heck is going on with this kid? He'll cry and sometimes I can't tell if its a hungry or tired cry...like, are you cluster nursing? Am I over feeding you? Are you exhausted? And I guess, I feel like maybe I'm just not paying as much attention to him as I'd like. While pregnant I thought, "oh, he'll adjust" to being a second child and along for the ride. But now I wish I could just slow down with him a little more. I wonder if I'd be more in sync with his napping/nursing cues if I could give him a little more undivided attention. I wonder if he is still in the newborn sleeps all the time phase, or if its totally unpredictable at this point. I guess I'm partly asking because he's been pretty much asleep ALL afternoon and its 7pm now. I remember vaguely at 4 or 5 months with DS1 I kind of had an idea about when he'd want to nap. This one though, I'm kind of at a loss...I guess I'm feeling kind of inept as a mom right now.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
first of all...

when dd was about the same age as your little one, i somehow got the notion that she was sleeping 'too much'. then i read healthy sleep habits, happy child...i absolutely do not agree with his approach for cio, BUT he does do a nice job of talking about the sleep physiology of infants. at that age they really kind of regulate themselves and will have some days of sleeping more/less. he also talks about how babies up until about 5 months 'need' to sleep every two hours. that helped me a lot, it made me realize that sometimes i did need to help dd go to sleep before she reached that 2 hour period (at which time she would be so exhausted and super tired).

hth, mama!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Someone on another board was saying that she had read something saying that babies don't really establish a recognizable pattern until about 4 months. (How's that for vague!?) Anyway, I don't know if that's really accurate or not, but it sort of seems about right to me. Ds is 3 months old, and dd is almost 3 years old, so ds just sort of goes along with whatever we're doing, which means plenty of interrupted naps. But I figure that he's so little that he can sleep anywhere, and he'll get the sleep he needs when he needs it. Fortunately, he's an easy-going baby, so it's not like he gets very fussy when he's sleepy. It would be tough if he were more opinionated.

Give yourself some more time. 5 weeks is still awfully early! A few more weeks and you'll probably feel like you've got a routine going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.