Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its been 10 + weeks and not even a hint of a period in sight. I am exclusively breastfeeding, and I was just wondering. Come the end of this month it will be a whole year since I had a visit from Aunt Flow.

Not that I miss it that much. But I was expecting something.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It is different for everyone, but mine didn't return until we stopped nursing at night. For some it's when solids start. Basically, it's usually when your milk supply significantly decreases.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandsprite
So its been 10 + weeks and not even a hint of a period in sight. I am exclusively breastfeeding, and I was just wondering. Come the end of this month it will be a whole year since I had a visit from Aunt Flow.

Not that I miss it that much. But I was expecting something.
With Boo, I first saw AF on his first birthday. We nursed exclusively until beyond 9 months, and he ate very little solid food until after his birthday.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It varies. Also, return of menstruation does not necessarily mean that you're ovulating, either. I bf exclusively with ds, got AF at 5 mos. pp but erratic cycles, varying from 20-45 days. I don't think I ovulated until he was nearly a year, because then my cycles returned to normal. I got pregnant again when he was 18 mos. or so.

I actually don't remember when AF returned with Isabelle... it was later, though.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
For me it started back up right at 4 months PP with both kids. I was also exclusively bf'ing and had very fervent nursers. I'm sure there was NO decrease in milk supply. I think I'm just genetically programmed to start back up at 4 months. I know that one of my best friends didn't get hers back (despite only part time bf'ing and feeding solids) until 10 months or so. She still hasn't gotten it with her 2nd baby (same feeding routine) and she's 7 months pp. Irritates me (only cuz I was exclusive and got it and she wasn't and didn't)!!! Just isn't fair!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
DD is 17 months and I haven't seen a hint of my period
wishing you some happy af free months to come!

I want to
: though, so mine can come on back any day now

·
Registered
347 Posts
mine returned at 14mos when i night weaned. i worked FT and pumped the first year. after i stopped pumping, i thought it would return, but it didn't until dd stopped nursing overnight. i was charting, so i know i didnt ovulate until 16mos. There is a really good book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler that is just awesome reading. Highly recommend it for all women.

but, everyone is different and there are so many factors that play, so knowing how to chart is really invaluable!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I usually got mine back at 18 mos. after the birth. I nursed at least for 12 mos with each child, up to 24 mos... it really depends on your body!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I got mine nine months after my daughter was born. I can tell you the actual day, it was June 17, 2003. I remember because my neighbor's son was having his birthday party and it was a pool party, I went to the bathroom, and there is was. I had been hoping until she was at least a year.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Started again at almost 10 mos to the day with my first 3. Have had just 1 ppaf this time, at 12 1/2 mos. I did ovulate prior to my first AF after baby all 4 times, I think. I was charting with #2 and #3, and this time just noticed every possible physical sign of ovulation, and AF sure enough showed up 13 days after. The other 3 times I was very regular and ovulatory as soon as AF showed back up. We'll see this time -- hasn't been enough time yet to tell.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Went 21 months, then 16 months with the next. This time I am having some breakthrough bleeding at 7 1/2 months pp, hoping it's not the full return!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts