Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 20 weeks pregnant and I have been planning to give birth at the hospital birth center with their midwives. I spent a good portion of the first 10 weeks of my pregnancy trying to convince dh to try for a homebirth, but he wouldn't agree. I have still been sending him resources and articles in his email, but he hasn't really said anything. Then, 2 nights ago, he up and tells me that he thinks that homebirth would be a great idea and he understood it now! Ugh, men! So, anyway, I'm wondering if it is too late to find a homebirth midwife? And if it isn't, how do I go about finding one?

Thank you!

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
My dh changed his mind two weeks before the birth. We met my midwives at the birth center we were planning on using (belongs to another mw). By the time we reached our town on the return trip (20min) dh decided he was OK with home birth. I didn't need new mws because mine attend anywhere; my mws say that it isn't too late to change your mind until she sees the baby's head

You can try your tribal board for mw suggestions though someone here may be able to help too. Many hb mws will take clients very late because they want to provide hb services to those who want them.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
No, it's not too late. I contemplated changing care providers at 28 weeks last time, and the midwives I contacted were all amenable.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess I can be grateful that he didn't wait that long!

I'm in Massachusetts, btw, if anyone has some suggestions for me. It is nice to know that someone would take me on at this point, though, thanks!!!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
NO! It's not too late! It's not too late until the baby is out
Search the internet, ask on finding your tribe here, ask at LLL meetings, look for flyers at natural food stores.

good luck!

-Angela

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
: I know people who have found a midwife merely hours before the birth-some midwives won't take clients like that, but some do! I would also check around at chiropractor's offices, health food stores, Attachment Parenting places, Montessori schools, etc....

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I found my homebirth midwife roughly three weeks ago. I am 39 weeks tommorrow
Its never too late. Start looking and don't stop until you find someone.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I assisted at a birth where the mama changed providers at 43.1 and she had her baby the next day with us. She had lied to her original midwife about her LMP to give herself an extra week, but when she hit "42 weeks" (really 43) she was told she had to go to the hospital for an induction due to that midwife's protocols, even though BPP, etc. showed a perfectly healthy baby and placenta. She refused the transfer and came to us instead.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
ITA with pp. The only way it is for sure too late is if you have already had your baby! I have a friend who switched to a homebirth midwife at 35 weeks.

Our midwife only takes 4 clients per month, so the longer you wait, the more there is a chance that midwives will be booked up.

Good luck with finding someone!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!!! I just can't believe my husband has had such a turn around. A homebirth was something I wanted, but at the same time, I wasn't positive. Having my hubby's support means a lot.

I'm in northern MA, Haverhill, right near the NH border.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i switched to a homebirth midwife at 33 weeks my last pregnancy. i'm so glad i did and the same midwife will be attending this time around.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hey, I've heard of women switching at 38 wks! I knew that I wanted a homebirth all along but went to an OB first because I needed to have lab work very closely monitored for first 16 wks due to previous preg problems. I waited until 6.5 months to switch. My mw didn't mind a bit!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I switched at 20 weeks- took me that long to muster the courage to actually make my dream a reality. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
My midwife will take clients pretty much whenever. I remember that after an appointment with my last baby, she had an appointment with a 36 weeker and it was her first visit there. It's not too late.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.