Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to have the Level II done; I can have it done at my regular OB that I see (for things like this; I actually go to a MW) with whom I am comfortable and trust his ability with Level II. Or, I can go to this new-to-me doc who did the nuchal translucency for us this pg. I wasn't so comfortable with him; nothing overt, such as I *didn't like him*, but I *do* like my OB. DH and I joked about the NT doc telling us all was fine when it really isn't just to be mean to us. While I have only the one experience with the second doc, I trust his skills are acceptable given his position in the obstetric community around here.<br><br>
Here's the real question: I have an appt for the Level II with the second doc for when I'm 17w3d. My appt with my OB for the Level II (planning on cancelling one of them) isn't until 20w5d. I guess my concern is if something is found of concern on the Level II. Three weeks will make a difference, right? So, do I grit my teeth and go to the doc I'd rather not just to get in at 17 weeks, or wait until 20+ to get the doc I want?<br><br>
What is the normal range for the Level II, anyone know? I've googled it and just gotten very frustrated for the past hour- nothing says, "Do it between weeks X and Y."<br><br>
I already had the Tetra screen drawn, just waiting to hear from my doc how that looks. Thinking maybe to wait to find out if there is any cause for concern on that, then decide when to do the Level II. I am hoping that I'll get to talk directly with my doc when they call with those results.<br><br>
Any advice appreciated!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
level 2 is usually done between week 20 and 22 at my hospital's fetal center. However doctor who did my NT scan said that he can do mine level 2 at 18 weeks so I have time for an amnio in case I need/want it. I think that the skill level for you Dr is not a question, however they use better machines at the hospitals than you can find in most OB offices. I would go to your new doctor, since the reason for u/s is to make sure everything is OK and he is probably using the better equipment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
A Level 2 is typically done between 18 and 22 weeks. However, they may be done a little earlier. I am high risk and am seeing both a regular OB and a high risk specialist. The high risk doc really wanted to do my Level 2 a little early, so it was done at 16W6D. However, she was not quite able to see everything she wanted to see, so I am going back in a couple weeks, at which point I'll be 22 weeks.<br><br>
I think that the main reason for doing an earlier L2 is to have time to do an amnio and get the full results back and still be "early". Depending on the laws of the state you live in, those weeks can be critical. If you would not plan to terminate, then I don't think the timing is that critical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
I had the Level II at 18 weeks. It was done by a maternal fetal medicine specialist because, from what I understand, the results are more reliable when a specialist performs the scan. He had me come back 7 weeks later for a second. The second focuses on the baby's heart. He told me they do that because the heart is further developed at that time. He said if both scans turned out normal, there is a 95% chance there is nothing wrong and the baby is totally healthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies! I was thinking the 17w one would be actually a bit early. Not sure why they scheduled me early for it. Anyway, my tetra numbers were great, so I am going with the later level II. I am so much more comfortable with the thought of going to my normal OB than the new one.<br><br>
Thanks again!!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top