Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would you consider going to one that does not take insurance (fee-for-service, in other words)? What about a concierge practice (you pay the doc a yearly fee, then you get to see her/him as much as you want. Lab fees and such are extra)? Would you be more interested in seeing this type of doctor if she/he were NFL-friendly? Knowledgeable about alternative and complementary modalities?

I'm just curious. There's a new round of discussion about Medicare dropping rates and requiring more paperwork (the pay-for-performance plan), and some more doctors are thinking of leaving. Doctors in my area are dropping insurance and Medicare left and right. Others are going into contract medicine (like at prisons and university) or leaving the field of medicine altogether. Anyway, it's so hard to get good doctor, or to get in to see any doctor at all.

I'll be honest. My dh is a family practice doc, and he's also thinking of refusing insurance and opening a concierge practice. He's sick of being told how to practice medicine by the insurance companies (which won't reimburse him for the time it takes to explain nutrition and alternative therapies to his patients). We go round and round about how fee-for-service and concierge would restrict access to medical care for a lot of people. But then, dh would get to practice really great medicine. I wonder, are folks even interested in getting this kind of care? Or do they just want their $10 co-pay?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts