Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies,<br>
My boys are just about 2, and play extrememly well together for the most part. Lately there has been more tandrums and such which I'm sure is just going to get worse, right?<br>
Anyway, they have started hitting, not hard yet, but out of frustration. Recently I have noticed hurting happening accidentally, like they are both running around the corner in oposite directions and whack into each other, or one steps on another's hand because his hand happens to be down there by his feet! lol<br>
And my little one will get really upset, screaming and crying (often is not even physically hurt) and I will console him and say "oh, he didn't mean to, you guys bumped heads didn't you!" and he'll stop crying for a moment then walk or run over to the other and SMACK him! I will go to him again and explain that we don't hit even when we are frustrated or hurt, and say "he's sorry, he didn't mean to do it!"<br>
The other kiddo has no inclination towards pay back unless they get into a little slap or push fight that I haven't interferred with.<br>
I know he has no idea what I mean...<br>
They have always amazed me with how much they DO understand... so I will continue to talk them through things, but just wondered if you all know when they might get this concept?

·
Registered
521 Posts
My DS didn't seem to understand what the word accident meant, so I started referring to it as an "uh-oh" and then using the word "accident'. He understood what uh-oh meant because it's what we said when he would drop or spill something. He learned that there are "uh-ohs" and "on purposes". Once he understood that we started using just the word accident.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Do you use it in other contexts, too? That might help them get it without the emotion of being hurt.<br><br>
You know, falling down is an accident, tipping your drink, dropping something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts