Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 8.5 months, so I'm assuming this won't be an issue for a while, but I'm curious.

When should a "meal" (solid food) replace a nursing rather than be a supplement to a nursing? Right now food's just "fun" and to rule out allergies for my son, but all of a sudden he's a lot more interested in it and wants more than I'm willing to give him right now. He's always nursed before he eats and sometimes after as well, but he's starting to yell about that and grab for more food.

I'm assuming the answer is 12 months or more. Got any links, anyone?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Well for us, it was more like 18-24 months or so. And, I worked full time outside our home, and he nursed exclusively (no bottle of formula or EBM!) and kind of refused solids too. I think depending on how much they like food and want to eat, it varies. If you nurse on demand, your child will let you know when he needs less frequent nursing because the food is satisfying him enough. I would let your baby be the guide on this one, and continue to follow the needs he expresses.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would follow your babies cues. When dd1 was around 8 months, she really got interested in solids. It seemed like she still nursed about the same, but she was getting so much bigger. It seemed to me that her milk intake remained about the same, but her apetite grew bigger, and she wanted to fill that space with solid foods, kwim? Listen to your baby.

Bec

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
It depends on the baby. Mine were around 9-10 months when the first solids feeding replaced a nursing. Up until then, we'd either nursed OR fed solids and THEN nursed to "top them off" (from around 7-8 months). I seem to recall it was "dinner".

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I never noticed solids "replacing" a meal, but I never thought of my baby's nursing as a meal either. Even after she started eating solids (late eater too, about 11 months before she was interested in solids), I continued to feed on demand and I suppose over the next year and a half or so, she started eating food more often and nursing less often, I didn't really have much to do with it. She weaned herself at about 31 months, when I was about 5 months pregnant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.