Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
i wouldnt worry at all.

They all do things in their own time... 7 months is still well within developmental standards... is the baby doing other things? interacting?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The trouble is that there are all these guidelines and expectations or 'milestones' not to mention friends whose child walked at 4 months!!!

First question is whether your baby is happy and healthy. If so, then I'd just enjoy his development and let him do so at his own pace. Our son, didn't sit up independently until 8-9 months, rolls around, hasn't crawled, though looked like he was going to from 5 months. Don't worry, if he's healthy then timescales don't matter, he's going to sit up, crawl and even walk eventually, so enjoy what he is doing now.

To help him sit, just do things like lean him back against a cushion, with cushions to support him on either side, let him lean against you between your legs, encourage him while supporting him, give him something to play with in front of him. Our son went from being fairly 'floppy', to sitting without his hands on ground for support within a week or two.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
DD didn't sit until she had started crawling, at almost 9 months. It's fine, really. As long as your LO is doing other things, moving his body, grabbing things, babbling etc. We didn't really do anything to help her sit, except for letting her sit in our laps, which she loved from very early on.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sitting or Sitting UP. They are two different things. Most babies can be put in a seated position by 9 months (so at 7 months, you don't need to be concerned if he is not ready to sit by himself).

Sitting up by themselves (i.e. putting themselves into a seated position when placed on the ground) is a whole different ball game. Many can't until they are a year because it requires them to push up their own weight.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I don't think you n eed to be worried, but if things don't improve in the next few months maybe do a PT evaluation. Avraham Tzvi has PT, and my twins also had it. They have low muscle tone. He started PT about 1 and the woman sees him every 2 or 3 weeks, plays with him, and gives me things to practice with him to help him get stronger. He loves it. Nechama had PT from 5 months until when she was walking at 17 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.