Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you say/do to encourage them? Do you have a particular website you send them to or kind of diaper you advocate for newbies, or do you try to suggest something different based on their needs?

I usually tell people about diaperpin.com... I figure that sending them here might overwhelm them, & if they get into it, they'll find this place eventually.

My selling points are cost, cuteness, and "almost as easy as disposables". I actually avoid getting into the chemicals and other yucky sposie issues, b/c usually other moms are listening and I don't want to insult anyone. I usually give a quick rundown about AIOs, pockets & fitted/prefolds with covers, saying different systems work for different people. Is this too hard of a sale? Would you have been intimidated by someone giving you that much info?

I'm dying to know if I've ever converted anyone... I've had soooo many conversations, usually with people I just run into but don't know, and I have no idea whether I've been an effective advocate!

· Registered
20,366 Posts
These are good questions. People are either really interested in my cding or really insulted. Like they think I believe I am better than them. They usually are the ones asking questions though!

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Ive posted this suggestion before but... I purchase any used dipes at thrift stores, garage sales or from friends that have them hanging around. When I meet a new or pregnant mama that I think may be interested, I say that I have extra dipes at home in my closet., and ask if they would like to have them. This gives them a chance to try out the cloth, and then you can give them info on fancier dipes if you think they may be interested. I dont get into any of the political stuff about dipes... this is a good way to get the thought out there casually without sounding pushy.

· Registered
33 Posts
I guess that if they are people you don't know, I would tell them exactly what you use and what you like about it. Tell them where to buy and give them the diaperpin reference. Less info is less confusing.

If they are people that you know, I would offer to show them exactly what you do and guide them in choosing a system for themselves. I know I could have used someone to help guide me in those early, very overwhelming days.

I personally, have just run into a whole bunch of people that are very closed minded and they either think I am insulting them by using cloth or they think and advocate that sposies are so much better than cloth. I'd just like to know where they are getting their info from.

· Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I would have loved someone pointing me in the cd direction. My mom cd me and my older bro, but the 3 younger ones wore sposies. Honestly, I did not know cloth had changed that much til I became a mommy. All the info would have been wonderful for someone like me.

· Registered
3,011 Posts
I start whipping stuff out of my backpack! :LOL Really, I do like the "touch, feel, and see" method best, and since I usually have a bunch of different stuff in the backpack anyway, they'll get to see & mess with tie-dyed prefolds, velcro wraps, Recycle Diapers, Dirt Cheap velcro t-shirt diapers, recycled sweater Bum Fuzzies, pocket diapers, flats, ME Airflows, and any other WAHM dipes I happen to have in there (anything from a Cuddlebuns to a Pinhead to a Berry Patch). Davey seems to like to "model" for some reason, so my usually wiggly boy will sit through several diaper changes so I can show how they work if needed.
I usually ask if they sew or knit, too, and if they do I give them the url to my free diaper sewing site. I figure if they can see that they can diaper their kid for $35 or less, and use up all those old clothes that nobody likes to store anyway, they'll be much more likely to play with the idea. If they dont sew or knit, I don't bother saying anything about that unless they say that their mother or grandmother is always sewing stuff for the baby or something like that.

· Registered
6,416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehndi mama
I start whipping stuff out of my backpack! :LOL Really, I do like the "touch, feel, and see" method best, and since I usually have a bunch of different stuff in the backpack anyway, they'll get to see & mess with tie-dyed prefolds, velcro wraps, Recycle Diapers, Dirt Cheap velcro t-shirt diapers, recycled sweater Bum Fuzzies, pocket diapers, flats, ME Airflows, and any other WAHM dipes I happen to have in there (anything from a Cuddlebuns to a Pinhead to a Berry Patch). Davey seems to like to "model" for some reason, so my usually wiggly boy will sit through several diaper changes so I can show how they work if needed.
I usually ask if they sew or knit, too, and if they do I give them the url to my free diaper sewing site. I figure if they can see that they can diaper their kid for $35 or less, and use up all those old clothes that nobody likes to store anyway, they'll be much more likely to play with the idea. If they dont sew or knit, I don't bother saying anything about that unless they say that their mother or grandmother is always sewing stuff for the baby or something like that.
Wow, great approach. That would have converted me!!!!

Meg

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your responses... I got some new ideas!
I guess all I can do is keep sharing the cloth love!

Tiffany, the is a really neat presentation!
Hope you don't mind if I share that link?

· Registered
2,253 Posts
I also send them to diaperpages. I usually let them answer questions, I leave out anything that might insult them. Usually just saying how cute they are, they work great, easy to wash and care for (for us anyway), and how we save money. I also add that some are so easy like sposies, which these are the ones I usually travel with (FB's).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.