Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just moved into a new place.

It's HUGE!!!

Went from a house packed full in 1200 sq feet, to at least 3000 sq feet. We have all the space in the world and it's an issue now.

I don't know how to use all this space, I don't have furniture to fill all this space however, I do not want to pack this house full, I want to keep some of that airy feeling that we have.

Are there any resources out there for using the full space? Most decorating blogs and sites I have seen are more for those trying to maximize space, not
fill space or create zones.

Any resources for me? I have these basic photos, before we moved in, looks different now, but the camera just died to it's what I have to show and tell for now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1421215...7623069084429/

I will be asking you ladies again for specific ideas, but for the time being, what can I look to as a resource for creating zones as well as using the space I have.
I used to love looking at apartment therapy, but it's so unrelatable now that I have this overwhleming space to use.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
When we were living in a very large house we found we just used parts of the house. We also arranged the furniture inside of rooms away from the walls to make the spaces feel more cozy.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
First off, what a lovely location! So serene and tranquil looking! The house has so much potential to be really amazing! Lots of character!

As far as the great room is concerned, I would section that off as a living room area, a dining room area, and maybe a reading nook area or something. If you wanted to make the small feel more sectioned off, you could get those room divider bookshelves that are open on both sides. Similar to this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086

I would scour craigslist, newspaper ads, online for sale sites, etc. for some nice used furniture for the spaces you don't have furniture for.

Start with making the spaces you will use most the way you want them. Probably the master bedroom, kids room (not sure if you have kids), great room, and kitchen. The sunroom and some of the other bedrooms may have to sit empty for a while, but if you get the rooms you use a lot looking good, the other rooms will come with time.

Good luck! Have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Wow, nice place! Love the location!

First, I would give it some time. It is a big change and you need to get used to it and find out how you are naturally going to use the house. I would wait and see what furniture you really need to acquire.

Last year we went from about 2200 sq feet to 6000. Yowzers! That took some getting used to. At first it just felt HUGE. Like, you lose each other in it huge. And the scale is really hard to get used to. For example, the area rug I had in our old living room - like with all our furniture around it, is now in my entry way and looks like it is meant to be there - no one can believe it is the same rug. The scale is just so different. I'm still not always used to that - especially when buying decorator items. We've also rearranged our living room twice - we now have it so that it doesn't feel empty but we did add a large floor plant and a side table. We need to add a couch to the family room but we don't quite have the funds or a final decision to do that yet.

It will come together. You'll all get used to the extra space and you'll naturally fall into a pattern of use. You may not need to add as much furniture as you think.

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
i was also going to recommend looking at lofts and studio spaces. even if a studio space is small, it's typically about 'zones.'

in our place, we have a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, hallway, and 'great room' (lounge here). that room has two 'zones'--dining and living. i'm also creating a meditation/yoga niche and there are cubbies for our office, homemaking, toys area. the bedroom is just our bedroom, as i like to keep the bedroom as a separate retreat for restfulness and sleeping.

but, once you decide what you do in general, then you can find the best spaces for it in the home--whether htat's dividing a great room into four zones (dining, living, music, games table for example), or leaving it as a large entertaining space (two living room sections, etc) and then using another room as a crafting room or what have you.

also, a lot of designer magazines deal with *very* large spaces. Architectural digest, etc. just look for how they are using structure.

sounds like fun, btw. i love to decorate/organize a new space.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
We also moved into about 3 times the space (2 years ago), and at first it seemed like we had so little stuff, and a ton of emptyness... but over time we have filled our home (not with a bunch of clutter, but slowly bought new furniture and such). It doesn't feel empty at all now, but it's still open and clear. I'm sure to some people it seems like we don't have enough stuff, but really, we do! It's just not all "out" in the open, b/c frankly, with four kids and tons of toys and clothing, I feel like it's more than enough work to stay on top of the day to day stuff as is.

We just have minimal amounts of things in each room (for the most part, some like the family closet, have quite a bit of stuff in it) -- but like the family room, it's huge, but we only have a 3 piece sectional couch, a flat screen TV and wii, the fireplace, a small bookshelf, a spider plant, a painting, a family pic and flowers in a vase, and um.... I'm trying to figure out what else. It sounds empty, but it's just that I don't want a bunch of crap in there that doesn't get used, yk? The living room has 2 couches, a desk (w/computer), and a chair. That's it. Then areas like the playroom and bedrooms (and closets, of course) have quite a bit more stuff (though, the master is pretty minimal).

Do you have a garage in your new place? We have a 3-car, and one bay is essentially storage, that holds a bunch of stuff (along with the built in shelves).

Not sure if you are even going for minimal/decluttered, or maybe somewhere more like comfortable, but each space has it's designated use?

The loft suggestions are great - I will have to check them out for decorating ideas. This is what I'm still trying to get done. We have bought a few curtains, and photos, as well as new bedding -- but I'm pretty clueless about themes/color schemes and such.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Super house!

We have faced the same "problem" (move to much larger house) and had plenty of clutter because of it. It has taken so long to create order.

My suggestions, from the voice of experience:

* don't store things in the huge garage (mice!) Except for tools, etc.
* it is OK to have empty rooms. One relative is just getting a formal dining table this year after about 5 years of empty room/play area.
* plan on "nomadic living" inside the house. The kids ply area can start out in one location, then move to another in 6 months or so after you paint or redecorate an area.
* Having one or more rooms empty makes painting or other house repairs much, much easier.
* don't be in any hurry to buy new furniture. just make a list of what you want and approx. dimensions.

Friends and relatives will start giving you old furniture when they see the new house. Take what you like, but be willing to cast off the things that don't work.

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
it's true about not buying to fill. we have a new place and the only furniture we have is in the bedroom and a table. we decided to not purchase anything else because we really don't need it. we need the table (it's in the process of repair), bt we're doing ok with out it too.
we love our empty rooms as well. we find them peaceful. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.