Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad stink problem, and I'm to blame.
: We just moved last weekend. For the last month or so, I've been on a cloth hiatus. I knew we were moving, and honestly, I just didn't want to deal with it for awhile. I was sick of using the coin machines or carting around loads of diapers to bring to my mom's to wash. And I knew the new place was going to have a washer/dryer hookup so I thought I'd start up again after we moved. So instead of washing all of my dipes before the hiatus, I just left them in the pail outside. For a MONTH!
I just didn't want to wash them anymore! I knew that when I did get around to washing them, it would not be fun, but I just didn't care. So now they stink, bad! I did a cold rinse, then a hot wash with a teeny tiny bit of biokleen. Then about 3 more hot washes with no detergent. Then some bac-out. Then another 2 washes with extra rinses. But they still stink! I have to plug my nose when I open the washer! Is there any hope? Did I let them sit too long? I don't really want to use bleach, I really try to avoid the stuff. I did use it once, and it faded all of my diapers, and I only used a little. Help!

· Registered
3,433 Posts
A looong soak in bac-out, super hot washes with a full measure of detergent, I would probably add baking soda and TTO to the wash as well. Do you have mildew stains? A long soak with oxy-clean will take those out. Good luck, your poor diapers.

Next time you don't want to do laundry (and I completely understand) try putting your used diapers in the freezer. I haven't done this with cloth, but I have frozen all sorts of other pee and poop stuff and I don't think it will hurt the diapers but it will help prevent the mess you have now.

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I finally go the stink out! They're not really "fresh", though, but tolerable. I just washed them a couple of more times with more bac-out. I swear, I won't do this again!
Thanks for the replies.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
That's good to hear. Just tonight I found a Mothereas in a plastic bag. Luckily it wasnt' a poopy diaper, but yuck. I don't know how long it had been there, it was dry though by now!

It actually appeared to not smell. We shall see, I'm not due to do laundry for a couple days now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.