Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused about when to buy nursing bras. It seems smart to wait until your milk comes in to evaluate what new size to buy. On the other hand, it's not like going shopping will sound good 3-5 days after birth, right? So what do people do?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think it all depends on how large you are naturally. I am pretty small/average busted, and I didn't get super big when my milk came in. I think the guildeline I was told is to go up 2 sizes from your maternity size (2 sizes larger than you are after 1st trimester). That worked for me. I actually had a lot of milk, but I had a smaller frame to start with. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I bought nursing tanks for the first weeks. I got them at motherhood maternity- and they are just like shelf tanks that clip down from the top. I figured I could wear them under clothes/ under jammies/ or alone until I figure out when my size will be. I find them very comfortable.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Something with a wide range of fit is great for late pregnancy and the first few weeks post-partum - the Blue Canoe "Jane" bras are perfect. I loved them when I was pg with Reese because they were *just* cotton, no clasps or elastic bands, they felt comfortable across my ribcage/top of my belly but they were still supportive enough for my 36DDs. They were also perfect for post-partum and had enough give in them that I didn't need to worry about fit. They work wonderfully with a changing body and are comfy for sleeping at night, too, if you leak and want to wear pads inside a bra.

Then whenever you feel like it, you can shop for something more structured after your supply has settled in and your breasts aren't changing so much.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am glad you started this post...I have 2 children already but I ended up getting my bras before and this pregnancy I have alrady gone from d-dd to ddd...I do get bigger when I breastfeed so 2 sizes bigger man I don't know how they size bras the biggest I can find is ddd does anyone know what would be up 2 more sizes?I have been stuck having to wear dd due to money shortage and I am busting out more and more each week so it's good that there are people who know about how many sizes to go up....Please let me know as well...Thanx

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I bought a sleep bra (which can fit different cup sizes) and a couple of nursing bras-- but the nursing bras are returnable and I'm not cutting the tags off till I see if they are going to work for me or not.

Unfortunately Motherhood has a wonky return policy. Maybe you can get them somewhere else, if you plan on potentially returning.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'd gotten pretty big by the end, so I got two at the end so I'd at least have a couple to wear. I went and got fitted by someone at a shop that sells them - and she was pretty much right on about what size I would need, except I like the band part kind of snug so I wound up getting one band size smaller later. I did order a few more after my milk was in. (I became a 38-40 F!!!)

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
With my first, my dh's aunt told me to get nursing bras when I was buying new bras in the first trimester (because my breasts grow a lot during pg but not that much more with the milk). I needed all new bras after about 6 weeks of being pg, so I went and got ones I like with the snap in the middle and by the time I was ready to give birth dh called it the stripper bra because a deep breath would make both snaps burst open

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got a bunch of nursing tank tops pretty cheap at Target, as well as a couple of soft , stretchy nursing bras. I never got very big when my milk first came in, but I'm very small chested to begin with...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts