Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Dd is 28 months old. Her baby teeth are in, and everything seems fine.<br><br>
I've heard all over that "one should take one's child to the dentist when s/he turns 2."<br><br>
My question: Why?<br><br>
Is there any good reason to take one's child to the dentist when s/he is 2 and when there appear to be no problems? Is this simply a matter of inculcating them in dealing with dentist hell (as if it would help)? Or are there real and common problems that I should stay on top of (yes, I know, dental caries, but is there anything else?), and that I'll need the assistance of a dentist to diagnose?<br><br>
I'm a complete ignoramus with respect to this subject. Any and all productive comments are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
The two main reasons I see are:<br><br>
1.) It doesn't have to be dentist hell. My dd had fillings and has had about 6 visits to the dentist's so far for follow-ups, cleaning, that kind of thing, and she LOVES going to the dentist. Seriously. Not, like, tolerates it, but really enjoys it. I wish that could have started without the cavities situation, but I'm really glad we're at where we are now. If she hadn't had any cavities, I would want to take her in to get used to it and become comfortable with it.<br><br>
2.) There can "appear" to be no problems when there are, in fact, problems, and catching them early is always better. A tiny filling is much, much less of a big deal than a pulpotomy or crown if you wait until the problems are more apparent. Not saying there are problems, of course, but IF there are, they are often difficult-to-impossible to see with the naked eye. I was compulsively checking my dd's teeth after I started worrying about a spot on one of them, and was shocked to find out that she had 6 more besides. Those were pretty much entirely invisible to me, and I LOOKED.<br><br>
All of that said, if you have no particular urgency, take your time, call around, and make sure you find a good dentist. There are great ones, and not-great ones. I think there are some threads on what to ask, and how to find a good one.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I second Sozobe's thoughts/advice. In addition, depending on how your dental search goes, it doesn't necessarily need to be a pediatric dentist. General dentists who are good with children are sometimes the preferred choice. Dentists, just like doctors, vary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts