Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Title should have said "midwife"*

Hey, all!

I just recently found out I'm expecting (on 4/11) and since this was a planned pregnancy, I'm relatively positive I'm anywhere from 3.5 to 4 weeks along.

I'm in the process of finding a midwife, but how early do I really need to see the midwife? This is my second pregnancy; I had a great first one and feel fine. I'm hoping this time around not to do much medical intervention, nonetheless I don't want to do anything wrong!

Thanks for any insights!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Why do you want to see an OB if you are looking for a midwife?

In my experience, there isn't much to be done the first trimester except for picking a caregiver you like. OB's seem to like to start seeing people between 8-11 weeks, my midwives start at about 12 weeks for 2nd babies. Good luck finding a great midwife, I saw an OB for my first and a midwife for my second- the midwife was SO much better.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
But you might want to start calling around now and making interview appointments with the ones you like on the phone. Many midwives only take a few clients a month, to be sure that they can attend your birth- and the good ones will fill up fast.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much Lula. You know, I realize that now after reading this forum and my experience yesterday.

I'm grateful this was planned and I know I'm pregnant early on as opposed to my last pregnancy when I was already quite along. I spent all afternoon yesterday calling places and before I could even ask a question the first question the receptionist would ask is when I was due. I didn't realize it was because a lot of midwives fill up!

So thankfully I'm on the ball with this. I'm not complaining, but I've only found one that I like the a) hospital affiliation and b) takes my insurance. I had wanted a sort of interview process, but I may have to just go with this one.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I'd try to find a midwife as soon as possible, myself. The one I went with is so popular that she often turns people away because she's already booked up for a given month.

I had appointments at 4.5 weeks, 9 weeks, and my next will be at 14 weeks.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Congrats!

i knew around 5 weeks that i was pregnant and started doing research on where i wanted to get care. I picked my midwife about a week or two later. i called and they scheduled my first appointment for me when i was 10weeks.

so there really isn't a huge rush if you are feeling fine and there aren't any signs of complications.

research as much as possible and then call whomever you choose.

also make sure that you research the hospital they work with (if you are having a hospital birth) or where they would transfer you if you were to need to be transfered from a home birth or birth center. these things seem really far off but it could save some hassle later if you decided to switch because you didn't like that facility.

then check out your Due Date Club!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I didn't see my mw until I was 18wks

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
My midwife doesn't see patients until 12 weeks, BUT... I tell her right away (basically as soon as I have a BFP!) so I am officially a client right away.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I saw my midwife the first time around week 7, we did some basic blood testing and for me it was a nice way of getting to know her. Some midwives book really quickly, so it might be good to call earlier than later. Some have rules when they will see you the first time, others don't. I also felt, as I hadn't met her before, that I wanted to meet her to see if I like her, so earlier was better for me

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The midwife I spoke to agreed to take me on as a patient, so yay! Her next appt. was 4/27 which was earlier than I wanted, but after reading all your comments I do realize it's important to at least meet with her and start getting to know her. That way, if anything, I can continue looking.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
At my birthing center, they have sign showing the typical schedule: once during the first trimester, then again at 16 weeks, 20 weeks, and so on. So even if you go in early at 6 or 8 weeks, you're not likely to be seen again until 16 weeks. So plenty of people wait until 11-12 weeks for their first visit.

Some OB offices won't see people until around 12 weeks anyway.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm using an OB, but they had me come in to meet with the OB coordinator, at around 8 weeks..She went through the "Do this..Don't do that" stuff, gave me some info, and scheduled my first OB appt, for 12 weeks as it's easier to hear the heartbeat at that point. It seems that 12 weeks is the most common for the first appointment.

Congratulations!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.