Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8 mo old DD loves to eat, but I don't give her much food, she mostly nurses, but gets sw potatoes, pears, avocado, banana, maybe 3-4 days out of the week, at one feeding only. I would love to have something on hand to give her while we eat at night that she is ready for (she's crawling, sitting up w/o assistance, etc) and wouldn't be likely to cause an allergy...

Any advice?

TIA!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Yuck, never, in my opinion. Howabout whole peeled or sliced apples, pears, thin cut sticks of carrot, and peas and such if she's working on the pincher grip. DS fed himself those kind of things from that start. Only a little made it to his mouth and got swallowed but it's the skills and sensations they're working on at that stage not the nutrition.

Actually, if you stay away from certain allergens (nuts, berries, egg white, wheat) you can give her whatever's on your plate. Most veggies are great, cut to a size she can't choke on.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good suggestions!

I'd love to feed her whatever is on my plate, however, I feel like I shouldn't give her veggies that have been prepared w/ butter, spices, etc. At home it's probably ok, but I don't think I'd want to do that at a restaurant.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'd also avoid the cheerios because of the ingredients... additives and stuff... but other kinds of cereal-y things can be okay. We get organic kamut puffs and DD looooooves those, just the perfect size for her little pincers.

As for eating out at restaurants, what's wrong with butter and spices? Why would that be different than at home? I can understand about 'fast food' with chemical additives and all that. But DD loves spicy food, there's nothing 'wrong' with that at all.

We generally feed her what's on our plate with just a few cautionary exceptions. Tonight we had homemade french fries, we bit off the pointy ends and gave her the rest and she was in heaven (good irish girl, loves her potatoes). Last night I made BBQ beef ribs (from grass-fed pasture-raised hormone-free cows) and pan-fried potatoes with onions. She loved it all.

DH fed her from his watermelon at lunch today, she ate an entire slice on her own.

Anyway, when we want something quick and not messy, like for in the car, the kamut puffs are our default. Sometimes at home we might go for bits of cheese too (that depends on how adamant you're being about dairy of course, we're going ahead with 'cultured' dairy like cheese and yogurt but ignoring straight milk, which we hardly use anyway).

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
um, I would say never. Grains are hard to digest period. I would get portions of steamed veggies if you are concerned about what they are putting on them or bring premade fruits and veggies. We won't be doing grains for at least the first year, likely 18 months or so until her little guts has the enzymes to digest them. I would just feed whatever I am eating excluding major allergens, I don't worry about spices though.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
A friend who's a child-development researcher at Hopkins told me children are old enough to self-feed cheerios or the like when they've mastered the pincer grasp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My guy loves these rice crackers called Baby Mum-mum. They are essentially a giant cracker-sized rice crispie. He can occupy himself with them for a long time! By the way, he is 8 months old and basically hates all other solid foods except for applesauce.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
We do oatie o's which are organic and wheat free. Not many but a few a day. I don't like the teething biscuits. Ingredient wise. We also give DS grains, he loves beans and rice. He is 10 months and eats whatever we are eating, spices and all. (not super hot spicy though)

·
Registered
389 Posts
We do organic whole grain cheerio like cereal
: We started around 7.5 montsh when DS had his pincer grasp down and enjoyed them.

Otherwise when we are out, I just order steamed veggies as a side for him and give him bits off my plate. We also don't avoid spices - just too much salt or sugar, and of course allergens.

Apple pieces and carrots like someone else said are great easy things to have on hand when what you're eating you dont feel comfortable giving to your little one.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessBB View Post
My guy loves these rice crackers called Baby Mum-mum. They are essentially a giant cracker-sized rice crispie. He can occupy himself with them for a long time! By the way, he is 8 months old and basically hates all other solid foods except for applesauce.
Where do you get these at?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
just an fyi baby mummums contain nonfat milk powder and are not recommended until age 1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.