Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is allergic to wheat...at least he was, but now his skin prick test says no. I'm not willing to challenge it yet, but I do wonder about my dd. She is 11 mos, and I haven't introduced wheat yet. I'm nervous. I would just as well keep it out of her diet, but I have heard of a window to introduce wheat. Does that hold true for when food allergies are in a sibling? Neither my husband or I have food allergies...so we don't exactly know where this is coming from. I don't eat wheat either since I'm still nursing my DS. What is the protocol?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
My allergist said 12 mos for wheat if they are not already allergic. He said wheat is one that tends to cause allergies in babies under a year and if you wait till 12 mos, it's usually ok. He said 3-4 years old for most of the top 8, so I was surprised by this, but it made me trust his recommendations. Liam is allergic to wheat, but he is already starting to have less severe reactions. My allergist also told me wheat is one that is usually outgrown.

How long ago sis your ds have the neg test? I personally would wait another 6mos-year just to be sure, and trial it then. But I'm super cautious sometimes.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My DS tested negative about 1 month ago. I was thinking about waiting another year for him. It's really not an issue, though because we're so used to eating wheat free. I do fantasize though about eating REAL bagels, pizza, and pasta!!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We waited until ds1 was over 12 months and he still had a mild allergy to wheat. He grew out of it by 3. We delayed wheat until ds2 was 18 months and had no real problems. DS2 grew out of all of his food sensitivities by 18 months. He has still not had straight eggs or nuts(ds1's most severe allergies).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts