Mothering Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just made my first prenatal appointment with my CNM, and she wants to see me at 8 weeks. Seems pretty standard.

Holy cow, this is getting real!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just made my first prenatal appointment with my CNM, and she wants to see me at 8 weeks. Seems pretty standard.

Holy cow, this is getting real!

Me too! Made my appointment with my CNM for 8 weeks 3 days. She does an ultrasound at that point, and I won't mind having one because I want to see that heartbeat. Very exciting! And yeah, this really is getting real! :)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Today's level (14dpo) is 96! I feel a bit better. :)
Happy to hear your hcg rose so well @BirchTree.

I also had my second beta pulled this morning and it looked great (186 to 598) so no more betas for me. Now I get to wait.. Boo! ha ha.
Congrats on the reassuring betas, ladies!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Those look like great and healthy rises!

Reactions: BirchTree

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm planning a home birth, but want to have a back up hospital midwife, in case it's necessary.

Last pregnancy, I was eager to set the 1st appointment right away, and saw a midwife around 7 weeks. I miscarried at the 12 week mark.

This time, I don't feel an urgency to start prenatal appointments. I am taking my vitamins, and listening to my body, but other than that, have been planning on riding out the first trimester before setting anything up for the long haul.

I didn't find my 1st appointment helpful or overly necessary last time, aside from getting some bloodwork done for my home birth midwife to have on file. The first appt with the hospital midwife was more of a "getting to know you" thing, and I felt it was a waste of time to drive the 40 minutes for that.

Have you all set up your first prenatal yet? How far along will you be at the first appointment? Are there advantages I'm not considering in going in earlier?
I don't plan on going in until around 20 weeks. There really isn't anything they do before that that makes any difference to me. This is pregnancy #5 , I'm in been there/done that mode! lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
So I had a dating ultrasound on Monday, got to see a teeny heartbeat fluttering away 😍 - our "official" edd is now Feb 14th. Glad all is in the right place, and that so far all is well. One thing that worries me is during g the ultrasound I saw a cyst on my right (only) ovary measuring at about 5cm . I lost my left ovary at 18 to a huge ovarian cyst (68 cm), so am definitely feeling anxious about this, have an appointment July 11 with CNM and will discuss my concerns. It does explain why I look three months e pregnant, instead of 6 weeks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had my first appointment today. It was so amazing to see that little fluttery heart beating. They did adjust my due date to the 15th, which seems a couple days late by my figuring, but I figure it's not as exact as they claim it is.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I also had my first appointment today, but no u/s or doppler yet. I am a little over 7 weeks, (despite the static signature). They took blood vials and I did have to pee in a cup since I was worried about dehydration. They said there was no ?ketones? in there and so I'm just dehydrated, not malnourished. My husband is forcing me to drink water, which I am scared to do because of how it will feel in there sloshing around with all the nausea. But he got me some ginger drinks and they help.

In about 3 weeks (10 weeks) I will go back for the full physical. The dating u/s is either the 10 week appointment or the 14 week appointment. I can't remember because the schedule was left in the office somehow.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We haven't decided whether to UC or HB w/midwife yet (leaning toward a second UC though). I will likely get an US at 18-20w just to make sure everything's cool (makes me feel more comfortable if we UC). I have a BP cuff at home and glucose testing strips should I feel the need. I'm taking prenatals/supplements, paying attention to my body. I know what's normal for me and this isn't my first time 'round the block. I chart so I am certain of conception date, no worries here.

Reactions: gabeyho

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I also had my first appointment today, but no u/s or doppler yet. I am a little over 7 weeks, (despite the static signature). They took blood vials and I did have to pee in a cup since I was worried about dehydration. They said there was no ?ketones? in there and so I'm just dehydrated, not malnourished. My husband is forcing me to drink water, which I am scared to do because of how it will feel in there sloshing around with all the nausea. But he got me some ginger drinks and they help.

In about 3 weeks (10 weeks) I will go back for the full physical. The dating u/s is either the 10 week appointment or the 14 week appointment. I can't remember because the schedule was left in the office somehow.

@Valerie11, drinking too much water isn't good either (flushes out electrolytes, minerals, etc), but you do need the fluids. What about nutritious fluids such as milk (or dairy alternatives), juice, smoothies??? That might be easier on the stomach and get you the calories you need. :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
@Valerie11, drinking too much water isn't good either (flushes out electrolytes, minerals, etc), but you do need the fluids. What about nutritious fluids such as milk (or dairy alternatives), juice, smoothies??? That might be easier on the stomach and get you the calories you need. :)
Ha! I just reread that. I don't mean my husband is forcing me, he's just urging me all day long. And yes, I agree that too much water is not a good thing either. We got some ginger ale that I have been drinking, and lemonade.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Hi, Ladies ~ I am only 5 weeks 4 days. I am 44 and lost my last pregnancy (3 years ago) the day I turned 12 weeks. I am a homebirther, but am considering birthing in an alternative birthing center this time around as a compromise to the daddy. In any event, I have learned of a midwife (turns out it's the one I saw last time at 10 weeks or so) who works with an independent ultrasound company that will come to your home!! I want to see that bean fluttering (although my increasing symptoms are giving me more comfort that all is well), so I am going to set one up for btwn weeks 7 and 8.

I did have my first acupuncture session last night and that went well. It felt good to be back there!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts