Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I are renting a garden plot. We have the typical peas, carrots, beans, beets, and onions. When should we plant the seeds? We were thinking the middle of May. Does this sound good?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Mid-may is good for most things. Typically (I'm in SK) most people will plant their gardens on the Victoria long weekend in May. Some things like peas and potatoes and carrots can go in a little earlier, But don't put out the tender things like tomatoes, melons, cucumbers until all danger of frost has passed (usually around early June). Good luck with your garden!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Yup, mid May, Mothers day to Victoria day is a great time to plant most things. Some can be planted earlier. I've planted my peas and potatoes as early as April 1st although I'm a lot later this year. My soil is still too soggy to plant anything.

If you are planning on starting tomatoes and such inside to plant out later, you could probably start most of it now if you haven't already. Plant tender things out in the first week of June or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.