Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over in BFing Challenges too. I am set to give birth any time now to my second child. My first is a mere 11 months old, and was weaned at 6 months
: Since my milk will be replenished with the coming of the new baby, I plan to pump for my older baby because he needs it and will benefit tremendously from it. The question is- when do I start pumping? I know I shouldn't pump too soon, as my supply for the new baby needs to get established, but I also need to get my body to realize that it needs to produce milk for two babies! If you have any ideas or experience with this, I'd love to hear your advice/stories!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't have personal experience w/this (I only have DS so far, he's almost 14 mos and still bfing), but (depending on your reasons for weaning in the first place), have you considered tandem nursing both? Your DS is young enough that he would probably benefit quite a bit from starting up again. I've read that babies who have weaned often ask to nurse again when a new baby comes - obviously he's not yet old enough to ask with words, but may still show interest. He might need to be re-taught how to latch on properly, but I think it has worked for others. I imagine you could start as soon as your milk comes back in, or at least after you've adjusted to nursing the new baby, and establish a supply for both.

I do plan to tandem nurse if possible whenever I have the next one.

Any other mamas with experience have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've made some attempts since he was around 9 months old, even tried using SNS, but I get screamed at and DS looks at me like "You gotta be nuts, Mom. Excuse me while I go get my ba-ba...."
Now he's a strong-willed almost 1 year old, however he has taken to touching, pinching, playing with my nipples. He wants nothing to do with being held in a nursing position, but he will explore my breasts. I think of this as progress. I hope that when he sees his baby brother nursing, he will want to imitate it, and we can begin tandem nursing, but this may or may not happen. Even if it takes another year, at least until he is verbal and can tell me he wants to nurse, I'll gladly let him nurse again. How likely is it that a 1yo would imitate something they saw a sibling doing? ( I'm not up on child development/psychology, anything like that so I have no idea what they are capable of )

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I would think you could start pumping almost right away if you are up for it (once your milk comes in). I would just make sure that the new baby has had his fill from both sides first, then pump. Sounds like a great way to relieve engorgement, and if your older one does not drink it all right away, to start a freezer stash. How awesome that you are even thinking of doing this for your sweet baby!
One thought to get your older one to latch after the new baby is born...try expressing a bit of milk and leave it on the nipple first...maybe he will then figure out that there is milk in there and want to nurse? I found a good page on kellymom.com talking about nursing strikes, but has some good tips for trying to get a previously weaned child back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link!! I just had a thought. Does anyone know how much milk a 1 year old should have/need? I know you can't measure in ounces if you're nursing, but since I wont be nursing my 1yo right away or possibly ever, I'd like to get an idea of how much, say a child drinking whole cow milk would need in a day. That way I'd have a better idea of how much I should attempt to pump.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've read anywhere from 16-24 oz of cow's milk. But I'm not sure if it would be the same for mama's milk, since there's no way to tell how much they're really getting when they bf and I think the caloric/nutrient content is much different.

For example, my DS nurses a bit in the AM, and again at bedtime, and gets 7oz. of ebm during the day at daycare (which is the amount I get when I pump at work - so he can have s.th. other than water in his sippy cup during the day, no cow's milk b/c I figure mama's milk is the best thing for him). But he also nurses several times during the night (we cosleep so the All Night Diner is open) so I really have no idea how much he's getting!

Now I'm sort of rambling...but I guess in absence of any other way to know, you could go with the cow's milk recommendation and try for 16-24 oz/day, then adjust the amount based on what he actually drinks.

Good luck with your new adventure - give us an update after the new baby arrives!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.