Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to be able to pump to provide enough BM for my baby to be fed by bottle once a day, 3-4 days a week.

I cannot find the time to pump. My infant nurses every 2 hours. when am I supposed to be able to pump and get enough, without taking what she needs to eat?

Occassionally on those days i am out, i'll come home and the babysitter will have just given her the bottle and of course I am engorged so I pump then. But its not always a guarantee I'll get that perfect situation.

For those who pump, when do you do it?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Are you trying to build up a stash to get started for your time away from baby? And then you'll pump during the time your away, so that you have your portion of bm for the next day?

I've heard people suggest pumping on one side while nursing on the other. This was hard for me but if you are going to be pumping while away from baby anyway, you might want to get a hands-free pump bra. That will make nursing on one side while pumping on the other much easier. Also, if you can, pump after the first feeding in the morning, you'll have more milk then. When I was building up a stash before going back to work, I would drink two big glasses of water after the first feeding, then pump about a half hour later. Then you have another hour to drink more water for baby's next feeding. You might only get a little at first but your supply will bump up after a few days.

Also, get up in the middle of the night to pump. This also didn't work for me as dd nursed frequently at night and frankly I just wasn't that desperate!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I pump for donation, and at first, I'd pump at night, when my daughter was sleeping for about 3 to 5 hour stretches. Also, if you just pick a time that you are going to pump, and then continue to nurse, then pump afterwards, your supply will catch up pretty soon.
And you won't have to worry about her not getting what she needs, because she nursed first.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Before I went back to work PT, I would pump after DDs first morning nursing session. And, FWIW, on the rare occasion that she decided she wanted to nurse again right after I pumped, she always managed to find some milk, I was never totally "empty."

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i guess the key is to do it the same time everyday and keep trying till my supply builds in response?
I do not pump while I am away. I leave the house 4 days a week to go 2 miles up the road to ride my horse. Although I am only gone 2.5 hrs. the baby needs to eat during that time.
So, I need to have a supply for that time but I do not pump while I am riding, hhehe

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ms mariah
So i guess the key is to do it the same time everyday and keep trying till my supply builds in response?
Yes, I think your supply will respond better if you do it at a fairly consistent time each day. I personally found it easier to do it at the (roughly) same time each morning b/c it was sort of routine (as routine as things can be with an infant and a toddler!).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms mariah
...but I do not pump while I am riding, hhehe
Now THAT would be a sight to see :LOL

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pumping after a morning feeding is what was recommended to me. Even if your dd wants to nurse again shortly after you pumped, she will still get milk. Your breasts are constantly making milk. (from what I've been told)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I tried pumping this morning and its going to be next to impossible. Morning is VERY hectic between her getting up, feeding her, DS who's 2 getting up, changing and getting him breakfast, getting myself showered somewhere in there, etc,etc. There' s not time for one more thing. I tried it and was so stressed hearing DS in his room playing, her fussing, I couldn't get a let down.

So, I think afternoon works for me, DS sleeps a couple hours and things are quieter. So far every good session I have had has been afternoon so hopefully it will work for me from now on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts