Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 6 and we are working on 1st grade. At this point we do reading, math, science, crafts and a little writing. When should history be added? Also we only do science once a week, should I increase that?<br>
Thanks in advance!<br>
Kim

·
Registered
211 Posts
I love the Story of the World by Susan Bauer. My son who is 6 and daughter who is 3 enjoy the very short stories and have learned a great deal about ancient cultures. The activity book is so full of great literature that links to the short stories and also full of craft/art ideas to make the history come to life. The kids really enjoy it and I have to say I have learned so much from this and we are only about 2/3rds of the way through the first book in the series. I have to add that we started the book almost 2 years ago and we do it in spurts and go off on tangents as the kids show interest. It has been a really interesting and child friendly way to do history. I can read it to both kids and they enjoy the stories. We don't use the workbook pages much, but they would be nice for older children or kids who like keeping their own workbook as the book is read. It also comes on CD which I don't have. It puts some of the biblical events into history as fact which may be at odds for folks who are not christian, but these stories can be told as you see fit.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
History has always been part of what we do -- not in a formal, curriculum-type way (though we did read SOTW aloud and enjoyed it), but in the way we explore the world around us, and in the fiction and non-fiction we read and read aloud as a family. Right back to age 3-4-5, whenever the kids started getting interested in novels. Right now we're on a post-Roman Britain / Arthurian kick, having been through a huge Norse kick in the fall and a Tibetan history kick in the early winter.<br><br>
Miranda

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'd just read an occasional history type book during story time. I don't think we'll ever get real serious about history other than just reading and discussing. We plan to keep it light. Pressure can make it boring.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
For us, reading and crafts ARE history. I cover history as a unit study every other month or so. Our history unit studies usually consist of reading from a non-fiction and/or historical fiction book and doing crafts/baking from the time period we are studying. It seems to be the perfect amount for ds (8).

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
We do mythology right now instead of history. As they get a little older we will get into classical mythology (4 grade or so) and then into a timeline based study of US History (6 grade or so). World History will probably be done during high school.<br><br>
AM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts