Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've never been on this forum before.<br><br>
I have a homeschooling question. My dd is 2.5 and I plan to homeschool. I thought now would be a good time to start gathering information. I was wondering how old she should be when I begin. Do I wait until the traditional preschool age of 4 or do I just start whenever I want? I work with her anyway, and she knows all of her colors and shapes, can count to 15, sings ABCs and can identify some of the letters, recites nursery rhymes, draws and colors well for her age, etc. So, I feel that I have, in a way, already begun to homeschool.<br><br>
But where do I start looking for information on curiculums? We are not a religious family and are homeschooling for other reasons. Are there different programs for religious/secular families? Is there a lot of internet based learning? Software?<br><br>
I know nothing!!!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
When to start? If you mean presenting a formal curriculum I say the later the better. Sounds like what you are doing is working well for y'all. I think you might find that your learning together will naturally progress without having to pick an age/grade/date to *begin school.*<br><br>
In my experience, many new homeschoolers are so excited about all the possibilities that they rush into something that fizzles or frustrates, not to mention wastes time and money. My vote is to read about homeschooling and education philosophies and observe your dd (and I'm talking years here). From there you'll be able to formulate what you'd like your learning life to be. Then you'll have a real basis for evaluating what educational materials and opportunites are useful.<br><br>
It's such an adventure. I hope you have as much fun as my dc and I are. Welcome!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. It seems that, these days, people are in such a hurry to start their kids off with education. All of these daycare "schools" for 1,2, and 3 years olds is crazy, IMO. I would think closer to 4 or 5 would be better for an actual curriculum.<br><br>
Does anyone have advice on what to read, books, etc? Which are good, which are not? Keeping in mind that we want to go with a secular education. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I was just coming here for the same thing. Ds is 26m. He knows most colors, alphabet, just starting numbers, matching objects etc. But sometimes I feel this enormous pressure that he should know more. Or say more. There are all these programs around here that are these preschool programs starting at 2yrs. We have fun coloring, exploring outside, doing puzzles-fun toddler stuff. Sometimes I wonder if he will fall behind, but in the long run understand/know more if he's not in such a structured place. Anyhow, most of the mom's I know who hs start around 4/5 as far as curriculum. But I do understand about what should a toddler be doing/know?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts