Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is highly dependant on whether you WOTH, whether you have any possibility of leave before the babies come, what your options are in general, but I would still love some advice!

I had planned to work until 32 weeks, at which point I would use up accumulated sick and vacation leave to carry me through until closer to EDD at which point I would apply for maternity leave (I live in Canada so we get 50 weeks paid at 55%).

Well, now that I'm almost 24 weeks I am slowing down . . .feeling the strain. My pelvic floor/area hurts most of the time and I just feel drained. Am I just a wuss or is that normal? Dragging my butt into work every day is getting harder, which is in no small part because I dont' really enjoy the work (it is desk work, which you'd think wouldn't be hard on a body, but all that sitting/computer work doesn't help soreness).

A few MoM I know IRL have suggested that 28 weeks is a more realistic target because by then I will be D - O - N - E.

I feel confused about what to do b/c I know my dislike for my work is clouding my judgement and the strain of twin pregnancy isn't the only problem. Or, maybe I am disliking work because my heart isn't in it b/c I'm exhausted, dunno - I did like work until I was about 16 weeks.

If I do go off work earlier than planned I will have my DS (5) at home with me in the mornings until he goes to school (from 12:45-5:15).

Whatever we decide should be alright financially, although of course the longer I work the better for the pocketbook. Another option is working part time until 32 weeks while DS is at school.

So, when did you stop? What would you do if you were me? Someone tell me what to do!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
None of us can know what's best for you, but since you ask . . .

In your place, if I had to decide, I'd tough it out another 2 weeks and see if I felt the same way. If so, then give 2 weeks notice and be done at 28 weeks. That's totally normal for a twin pregnancy.

Could be you start to feel better and want to stay.

I'd give some thought to your job, whether you don't like it and whether it's worth the stress at this point. If the issue is the job itself, that is manageable. Either you quit sooner, or you find ways to make it OK for the weeks you have left.

FWIW, I worked until 38w5d, but I really like my job and it's easy. And I felt good all along. And I had no paid leave time.

Then again, you really want to listen to your body. Nothing's worth physically stressing yourself over. If it's your body and not your mind telling you to stay away from work, listen now.

So there you are! Not much help, but support for whatever you choose!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I could have done well until 32 weeks, depending on the job. I was able to keep up with my four kids pretty darn well until that point. After that though, I needed to really modify my activities.

Listen to your body. If it's already feeling poorly at 24 weeks then perhaps another 4 weeks of work is all that's going to be safe for you guys. Can you legitimately afford to take another 4 weeks of unpaid leave? I know that sucks! It was worth it to me to keep my babies inside. I didn't have to take a hit on pay (and actually, because I cut out my older children's paid activities we saved a crap ton on fees and gas
) but I did have to suck it up and ask for (a ton) of help. I for sure needed to be resting the majority of the day at that point. I was having pretty serious runs of contractions around 31-33 weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Honestly, I can't imagine working that long through a twin pregnancy, although I know a lot of mothers do it and are fine. I would say that you have to listen to your body-- you may find that you're just in a rough spot right now, and that you reach a plateau and are able to keep plugging along. Or you may find, as I did, that it just keeps getting harder and harder. For me, I started having a lot of contractions between 24 and 26 weeks, whenever I was upright for more than a few hours at at time, and plenty of time to lie down and rest was really critical for me, so I wound up leaving work during that time (and I was only working part-time.) By 32 weeks, I was basically on my left side all day whenever I wasn't actually doing something to take care of my older child or myself, and in bed for the night by 5 pm.

How long can you keep your options open, before you have to commit to a plan? Things can change so fast-- an episode of preterm labor, or whatever, could happen, and all of a sudden you can find yourself laid up for the duration.

If it were me, knowing what I know about how hard it is, and how little rest you'll get in those last few weeks, and how much less rest you'll get AFTER the babies arrive, I would leave as early as I legitimately could afford to, and savor the time to rest and save up some strength to get through it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have a desk job too, in a pretty big place. I was able to find a couch, and sleep during my lunch hour (I was eating throughout the day, so I didn't need to eat then). For me it was the difference between staying at work and staying home. I managed to keep that up until 35 weeks, when it was just too uncomfortable to sit at my desk (and I could hardly reach the keyboard!)

I didn't have any other children - that adds a whole new dimension to the equation.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm nearly 36 weeks and I'm still able to run with my kids most days. They are 4 & 2 so there isn't a lot of time to just sit. But, to be honest, I felt the pregnancy beginning to take its toll on my life around 32-33 weeks. The PUPPP didn't help, it sidelined me, and I think to some extent took the wind out of my sails.

I'm blessed to have good pregnancies so far. But I had a job I couldn't stand when I was PG with my first. I ended up quitting when I was around 6 months PG. Not so much because I couldn't handle it but because the stress of hating my job wasn't worth it (plus I worked at CPS so it was stressful).

FWIW, the CNP at my OB's office began her leave at 25-weeks. I don't believe she had a medical reason for doing so (i.e., bedrest). They just thought it best that she stay home and take care of herself. She was able to carry her twin boys to term while staying home with an older child.

I really like the idea of the PP, plan on toughing it out a couple more weeks and then see how you feel then. If it isn't the pregnancy but the job you may be able to stick it out yet another couple weeks. But only you know your body and your pregnancy. I'd do what is best for that first and foremost. But it sounds like you're just done with your job more than anything (and I know *exactly* what you mean...which is why I did quit).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm also in Canada. I worked to 24 weeks. I was put on sick leave, and my benefits gave me 100% for two weeks and then down to 66% until I delivered at 37.5 weeks. Do you have short term disability benefits? I would take advantage of that if you have it. That way your EI benefits kick in the day you deliver.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the responses!

pragmaticme - I don't have access to STD since I haven't worked for my employer long enough. That said, I can claim 'sickness benefits' through EI which will give me 55% of the current coverage limit (so 55% of 43k I think it is this year for the income cap). I would then not have to serve the 2 week waiting period for mat benefits, so essentially I'd get sickness benefits up to the birth starting whenever my Dr is willing to write me a sick note. I need to clarify with HR, though, whether being on SB will affect my 'continuous employment status' which will affect my mat leave top up. So complicated, makes my head spin.

I am currently completely capable of working. What I worry about is that sooner rather than later I will hit a wall and if I don't make arrangements soon I will end up having to work longer than is wise. It also helps me to have an end date in mind due to the 'job-hating factor'

It has been really helpful to hear when others felt 'done' or quit working. Makes me feel a little less like a wimp
. So far my pg has gone really well and considering I'm carrying twins my body is doing fairly well I think. On my days off I find it far easier to cope though, even with my 5 year old around, because I don't have to get up early, get all of us ready, drop him off at daycare, park, walk, work away at my caseload, go at lunch to take him to school, park again, walk blah blah blah.

Anway, I'm meeting with HR tomorrow to discuss my options. Thanks so much for all of your advice!

The following really resonated with me:

Quote:

If it were me, knowing what I know about how hard it is, and how little rest you'll get in those last few weeks, and how much less rest you'll get AFTER the babies arrive, I would leave as early as I legitimately could afford to, and savor the time to rest and save up some strength to get through it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have one more day at the office, and then I'll be doing one half day from home. I was 34 weeks on saturday. I work three days a week; and it's kind of a tough call for me with what's more difficult - working (at a desk at an emotionally tasking job, but not physically) or being home with my very busy two year old. Just getting up and planning the day (day care, lunch, commute, etc) along with trying to find something decent that fits
is affirming my plan that being done this week was a good idea. My son may be watching more than his alloted 30 minutes of TV in the coming weeks - but oh well, somethings got to give!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Another fellow Canadian here...doesn't our maternity leave system rock??!!

I remember at my first appt with an OB (transferred from midwifery after the big discovery) I was shocked when he told me I should stop working at 28 weeks (you can read my similar thread here). As it turns out, he was about right for me (grrrr...I didn't really want him to be right about ANYTHING!). You definitely need to listen to your body, and mine was saying 'take it easy' starting around 24-26 weeks. By 28 weeks I was working from home part-time and getting a ton of rest while my older kids were at school. By 29-30 weeks I wasn't going in to the office at all...really just answering emails here and there and available via phone. I think I finally cut things off (and handed in the blackberry!) around 32-33 weeks. I was still up and about until I gave birth at 37 weeks, but I was very glad I didn't work as long as I had originally intended to (I did qualify for many weeks of sick time so there was no financial penalty for being off and my maternity benefits didn't kick in until the babies were actually born).

Sigh...that was a year ago and now I'm back to work...wondering where that time went!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
i worked until the day i was induced, at 37w6d. my job involves both desk work and field work, including lots of standing, bending and reaching. my biggest complaint about working that long was that the walk from the car to my office was too far.
i also had a 3 year old to entertain when not at work, as my dh works crazy hours and works most weekends and a lot of evenings. I did okay, felt I had a lot of energy and felt really good. So, I think everyone is different. I think you need to listen to your body, if it's telling you to slow down or stop working, it's worth it to you and your babies to listen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.