Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month dd has been fighting a cold, and up until now it was just nasal congestion. Last night it turned into a runny nose, and today it sounds as if she's losing her voice (she's really vocal); her little voice is raspy and weak. She coughed a few times and it sounded really harsh, not really a barking but...still, I'm worried.<br>
She's not vaxed (just for your reference).<br><br>
Would you take her in for a sick visit? My instincts are just to let this run its course, but with our first daughter we would have taken her in (we didn't follow our guts back then and did vax her up to 15 months...no more, though).<br><br>
I'm sleep deprived and probably a bit paranoid, but do you think the raspy voice and chest congestion/coughing warrant a visit to the pedi?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i'd say just wait it out for now, i go when mine are not acting themselfs, fevers and more then a week and no improvement or gets worse.<br><br>
it sounds like you dd is just draining now, it goes down there throats and makes them cough and sound icky.<br><br>
i hope she is feeling better soon

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I would wait it out at this point. Keep an eye on her temp and if she runs a fever for more than a couple of days, I would take her in, just to make sure it isn't progressing into some sort of infection (sinus or bronchial).<br><br>
For the cough, little ones always sound awful because they don't know how to clear their chest congestion, so it just sits there and rattles around, often making the cough sound worse than if you or I had the same cough.<br><br>
Are you using a humidifier? It helps a lot at night.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When my kids are sick enough that I begin to think they might need to see a Pedi, I always ask myself "What will they do for him/her?" Usually nothing. If it's really just a "common cold", there is nothing they can (or should) give.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts