Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahMommy View Post
When do you think it is okay to take the new baby out in public?
Um, I stopped at Jamba Juice for a smoothie on the way home from the hospital with #2? she was about 18 hours old. I don't pass babies around or carry them in a car seat where people can touch them -- they're in a sling and people pretty much have to violate my space to get really really close.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
Um, I stopped at Jamba Juice for a smoothie on the way home from the hospital with #2? she was about 18 hours old. I don't pass babies around or carry them in a car seat where people can touch them -- they're in a sling and people pretty much have to violate my space to get really really close.
yeah, I"m like that too. BUt I won't take him to a really crowded place for a few weeks, like for example the events coming up at my kids' school, but I would go to the store if I needed to.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is fine to take baby out soon if the babe is all snuggled up close and not touched by everyone. I want to take my baby to see all my friends at church soon because my house is so small I can't really accommodate visitors.
My baby is due on March 10 and I am trying to decide if I should go on this weekend trip in April. The trip is the last weekend of April so the baby will around 7 weeks old. It is a camping trip but in bunkhouses that are climate controlled and there is going to be lots of hiking and activities going on. Do you think 7 weeks is too young to take an infant away from home for the weekend?

· Registered
5,947 Posts
I took DD out to a restaurant for a friend's going away party when she was 3 days old....in a car seat, with people holding her. It was May, though, so not flu season or anything. I probably would have anyway, actually. I think I'm out of the ordinary in that regard.

If you labor before birth (vs. a scheduled c-section with no labor) baby gets tons of antibodies from you and is about as immune to everything as they're going to be for the next 6 months. It's as the baby gets older that they become more and more susceptible to things, because your immunity is wearing off and no longer protecting them. The real risk for them at the newborn stage is catching something you have no immunity to, but if that's your fear then YOU shouldn't be out either, because YOU might catch it and give it to the baby.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
We have to go to the ped within two days of the birth (ped's rules... and we're keeping him for other reasons...). Beyond that, if baby's in a sling/carrier
: it's not that big of a deal taking them out, imo.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
I sling my babies and keep them VERY close at all times.... and I'm out and about as much as I can handle (or want to be). I don't have any set time limit. I try not to do *too* much... but I do like to be out with baby. And I'm always at mass on Sundays... so, depending on when this baby is born.. we'll see on that

· Registered
1,568 Posts
My youngest now went all over the place when she was first born because we were just soooo busy. However, most times, she stayed in the car with DH or I while the other ran out and did the errand. Otherwise, if we had to take her out, she stayed in the carseat/carrier. Thankfully, she slept a lot.

Typically though, I don't take them out and about unless I have to-not for at least 4 weeks.

· Registered
481 Posts
With both babies we all went out to dinner the night we brought them home. Granted, my children came home at 7 days and 5 days old, but even if it had only been 1 or 2 days I would have still gone out. I'm really not a stay-at-home person in general, so once I bring my babies home I kind of just continue going and doing what I'd normally do.

· Registered
96 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahMommy View Post
I think it is fine to take baby out soon if the babe is all snuggled up close and not touched by everyone. I want to take my baby to see all my friends at church soon because my house is so small I can't really accommodate visitors.
My baby is due on March 10 and I am trying to decide if I should go on this weekend trip in April. The trip is the last weekend of April so the baby will around 7 weeks old. It is a camping trip but in bunkhouses that are climate controlled and there is going to be lots of hiking and activities going on. Do you think 7 weeks is too young to take an infant away from home for the weekend?
we took ds backwoods camping for four days at seven weeks old. I think it is more about what YOU feel up to at that point than the little one. boobs taste about the same anywhere, I would wager

· Registered
9,274 Posts
With ds2, he was born last Sunday, we left the hospital on Monday and were at the docs office on Wednesday. We've been home since then but are expecting to be gone all day Sunday between church and a family gathering.

Even with our first, we had to go grocery shopping when she was 5 days old.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
Hehe, we went camping at 4 weeks with DD2. Overall, I'm all about adjusting my lifestyle to baby and not making baby adjust to us, but when things are going well I see no reason to remain couped up "just because".
I think this actually best sums up my experiences and ways of viewing outings in the early days/weeks. You kind of have to play it by ear and see how things are going and what your baby will like/tolerate

All while still making sure to rest your body -- you've done a lot of hard work for NINE MONTHS! You deserve some rest too! (I have to tell myself that just as much.. because I'm prone to way too muh activity since I tend to feel quite fabulous early on).

· Registered
1,008 Posts
My first two were preemies born in the winter, so we didn't go out much. I was also a SAHM and we only had one car. The babies and I only went out when we needed too.

With child #3 - I had him out of the house as soon as I could manage (c-section). I didn't want to stay in our apartment all summer!

With this new babe, we will be getting out of the house as soon as I can manage. The older kids have too much going on for me to hang out at home.

· Registered
295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean View Post
All while still making sure to rest your body -- you've done a lot of hard work for NINE MONTHS! You deserve some rest too! (I have to tell myself that just as much.. because I'm prone to way too muh activity since I tend to feel quite fabulous early on).
This.
I am not sure if it was my induction, or genetics, but I got pretty heavy lochia for weeks after birth. My baby was easily ready to go out and about well before I was ready. Trying to do too much made me bleed a lot again.

I plan to stay close to home for a bit after this one, too. But not for the baby's sake.

· Registered
411 Posts
DP and I have a convention to go to the first week of April, but we will be staying in a nice hotel for 3 days and I will surely be packing a TON of stuff just in case.. If she's born around the 10th, she'll be about 3 weeks old by then. I really don't want to be alone with the new baby for 4 days while DP is 10 hours way so I'm a lot more comfortable going with him. If I have to have an emergency c-section or need more time to heal, I will ask DP to stay home since I'd be without any type of transportation (we have one car). I think you really have to play it by ear!

· Registered
1,878 Posts
I have a feeling we will be out sooner rather than later.
She will be all bundled up next to me in a sling, but we will probably have to take the
dogs out for a walk sometimes in the first month.
Dh will be on that duty, but I forsee some scheduling problems. If babe and I are both doing well, I don't mind. Walking my dogs are the best parts of my day.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.