Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD is 5 weeks old, and has had a light rash moving from the top part of her head down to her chest over the last week. At first I just thought it was newborn acne, but now I'm wondering. The places where it started (forehead, cheeks) are mostly healed but kinda bumpy and rough feeling still, and the places it more recently appeared (neck, chest) are redder, but I don't think it's still traveling.<br>
I did notice some extra fussiness (okay, who am I kidding - screaming) and gas around the time it appeared, so I figured I ate something that didn't agree with her maybe? She doesn't have a fever, nothing is broken open or swollen or pus-y or very gross. Just a little bumpy, red, traveling rash.<br>
I keep thinking maybe I should call the advice nurse but I assume they'd just want me to bring her in. Thoughts?

·
Registered
204 Posts
DD had this. Newborn acne can/does travel down from the face to the neck/back/chest. And can leave rough skin behind. It took about a month for DD's skin to look clear. IIRC it is from maternal hormones in their system.<br><br>
The fussiness - many babies have a fussier age that peaks around 6 weeks or so, and generally improves by 12 weeks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My daughter had baby acne so bad it was insane. She had it well into her second month.. I think she still had some her third month. It was all over her face, chest, and back. It was definitely very rough.<br><br>
She was also super fussy and worse around the 5-6 week age up til about 4 months (not three for us.. she is just a fussy baby though so I'm not surprised the peak fussy time was longer)<br><br>
The doctors/midwives/grandmas were all never concerned. Now she gets a heat rash as soon as it gets slightly humid haha... poor kid will never have clear skin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts