Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So I was induced last time as I was slowly going into labor...not what I wanted or want this time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are there some options that should be tried before the dr/midwives talk about inducing???</p>
<p>I just know sex and/or spicey food didn't work last time.</p>
<p>I'm 39 wks wed, fyi.</p>

·
Registered
201 Posts
<p>Is there a reason why you can't wait until 41 weeks?  Baby not thriving, placenta running out of gas?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If not, I advise patience (hard as it is).  And, tweak your nipples, DTD, take walks or go on the elliptical trainer.  My non-medically trained advice also includes avoiding breaking your bag of water or turning on the artificial pitocin before the due date...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spicy food is a myth, if you ask me.  All of Thailand, India, Mexico, Bangladesh, would be delivering early if that really worked :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Easy labor vibes Mama-</p>
<p>-Xen</p>

·
Registered
281 Posts
<p>You can refuse to be induced.  I'd suggest waiting until 41 weeks until you agree to it.  You can rub Evening Primrose Oil on your cervix to help soften and prepare it for labor.  If you are on the verge of labor (starting slowly) you can take castor oil.  But you should do it early in the morning after a good sleep, cause you will be on the toilet awhile :)  Usually castor oil will work if you are close anyway, but if you're not...you'll spend an uncomfortable day pooping.  I hope you can have your natural labor.  Some ladies just gestate to 40+ weeks, and that is ok.  YOu can ask your midwife for your Bishop Score, which is several pieces of info about your cervix that shows how likely it is to be successfully induced.  Look it up online first, and be an informed consumer when you go in for your appt.  Remember that you are a consumer, and you can take part in your own care.  Good luck!!!</p>

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>I think I gave the wrong impression. I don't want to be induced & no one seems to be forcing the issue. The 2 midwives that I see haven't even mentioned it & know that I'm planning a natural childbirth.  I was just curious to see what some people do to encourage labor w/o breaking water or pitocin, etc.</p>
<p>Not sure about the tweaking of nipples. I've been leaking for quite some time, worse than last time-haha. But I might try if we hit EDD next week w/ no baby here yet.</p>
<p>I get nervous b/c I know baby doesn't move as much & get paranoid that I won't know if something goes wrong in there. I had a NST done last time at a week late but everything was normal.</p>
<p>Agree on the spicey food thing, plus I've been eating a lot of that the whole pregnancy. Maybe I should get on the eliptical tonight when hubby gets home.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for sharing ladies. :)</p>

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
<p>Here is what I did this time. I delivered 4 days late which is actually early for me my other two children were over a week late with forms of medical induction. So I am going to say that it all worked because I went into labor naturally. ;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I took EPO orally 1000mg day starting at 34 weeks then vaginally daily at night starting at 37 weeks. Only vaginally if DH and I didn't DTD. If we did I would lay down as long as I could afterward. At my cervical check at 37 weeks my MW said my cervix was very soft so I am thinking the EPO did it's job. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I started taking Red Raspberry Leaf tea about halfway through pregnancy. Not religiously but during the last week I took a few strong glasses a day. I think this helped my labor to be quicker. It is supposed to promote uterine health. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I tried to have as many orgasms as possible. Once a day would have been ideal but it was more like every other day or third day. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I did nipple stimulation a lot the last week so from 39 weeks on. I would only do it until I felt cramping or a mild contraction then wait 5 min and do it again. I would do this for an hour twice a day. The last few days before DD was born and I could tell labor was close I used my pump to do this. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I also worked on good baby positioning a lot during my pregnancy especially in the later weeks. Sitting on my birth ball, tailor sitting, pelvic tilts, etc. I figured if I could get her in the best position it would put her more on my cervix and promote labor. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>All in all I was pretty obsessed with all of this this time around because I was trying for a VBAC and my last child was cesarean due to literally getting stuck in my pelvis and being positioned badly. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good Luck! And let us know if anything works. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
<p>Maybe you could explain to your OB/MW that you are just feeling nervous and would like NST. Care providers don't generally like nervous moms-to-be.</p>

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>Went in for 39 wk appt this morning & dilated to 3cm. Membranes stripped-says if that helps that it would happen in next 48 hrs. If not, we just wait. :)</p>

·
Registered
687 Posts
<p>Hopefully you've already had your baby, but if not, there's always acupuncture. I'm going to schedule a session for 40w4d, if I haven't had her before then.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts