Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd (2yo) has a fever today. She is acting sick. She has a 103.8 fever, VERY lethargic (passing out asleep climbing up on the couch, etc.), a bit shaky, high resp. rate, and high pulse (~180).

Now, I worked in the hospital. I am a CNA, EMT, etc. but this is *my* kid and I always freak out a little and forget what to do.

Should I go ahead and give her the children's ibuprofen?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
For those symptoms, I would medicate (absolutely) and call the ped. I'm not questioning your medical experience, it's just that her symptoms sound like the (few) "red flags" my ped's office goes by - they're not as interested in the degree of fever, but more how your child is acting.

I generally medicate when my children are uncomfortable. If they're acting sick and miserable (and have a fever, of course) I give motrin. If they have a fever and act fine I let the fever do its work.

for your DD!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I generally don't give anything unless the fever is high and the child is uncomfortable, won't eat, etc. The last time dd was sick I waited to give something until she reached 104 degrees, which happened twice in 2 days. I gave ibuprofen then, since she was totally miserable. I would give something if i were you, especially since she won't eat or drink. Keeping them hydrated is the most important thing while they are ill, imo.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Let the fever do its work! Focus on keeping her hydrated and call the ped if you are worried about her behavior.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I responded,but apparently it didn't go through.

I got her to eat something, take a warm shower, and drink some more juice. She seems better now. She is watching Family Guy with dh while I make her some potatoes.

She also ate a bit of ice cream. I hope she is getting better and it's not just a dip. She has been complaining about her stomach again and has some super stinky gas.

I think that I will hold off on the ibuprofen for her unless it starts going back up before bed.

Thanks, everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.