Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you mean?

What does it smell like? I'm worried... my hemp smells like amonia... Stella has been sick so maybe it has to do with that but sometimes when she pees it is super stinky.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I don't know. I think that ammonia is natural and normal. Not eye watering ammonia, but somewhat.

When I notice stink due to buildup or not enough rinsing, it smells skunky to me. Not freshly run over skunk, but "yup, that's a skunk" smell.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Stinky hemp to ME is when it still smells after it has been washed and dried. I've never come across the problem of stink after baby pees while the diaper is on <knock on wood>
Have you thought about stripping them?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
My hemp smells fine when you pull it out of the washer/dryer. It's when he pees, and then it smells "skunky" like kim said. I have a bunch of hemp inserts and I eventually had to boil them then I used SW, that seemed to do the trick. But now I'm super afraid of hemp. Not sure abt the ammonia smell. I know after 2 days, ds' are pretty strong when I go to put them in the washer.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
For me, "skunky" smell in the daytime dipes and "overpowering ammonia" smell in the nighttime dipes. Finally I have all my hemp under control - I switched to a low-sudsing "HE" (high-efficiency) detergent - even though my machine is a 11 yr. old top-loader. And I line-dry - that extra sun action keeps my dipes "fresh as a daisy".

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Holy crap! I don't get a skunky smell. But I was wondering the same thing b/c Ilah's LLLs NN have a strong ammonia smell. I washed them w/tea tree in the hot wash and put vinegar in the cold. That helped but after 2 wears they are already ammonia - y again.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I was having the "overpowering ammonia" smell with their nighttime dipes. Not so much during the day. I have used sportwash twice now, and the smell is not their in the morning now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think hemp gets a detergent build up more easily than other fabrics, which leads the diapers to holding in smell. Your problem may be that they need to be stripped, or it might be because she's sick her urine is more concentrated. When you rinse the diapers, are you getting suds in the washer? You may want to try stripping them just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.