Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do? I just answer her. She has this new thing "What time is it Angie?" (Probably heard my mom ask me that) Dh doesn't like it at all but I figure if I don't make a big deal out of it, she won't either. This is really the only time she uses my first name- unless of course, I'm not listening/answering her and she's been asking something for awhile.

·
Registered
745 Posts
After looking for/finding lost kids in several different jobs...I have absolutely NO problem with my kids knowing my first name and the way they are going to know it is to use it. I can't even begin to tell you how many older kids don't even know their parents names. "It's Mama."

Definitely a learning stage I'll gladly go through so that if we are ever in that situation my kids know my name to help the employees find me.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Ds hasn't ever done that but if he did it would be no big deal in my opinion. Just something new he was trying out and after all, it is my name. So I would just let it go and figure it was a phase that would pass eventually. I only direct my energy toward things that really matter like playing with the stove, coloring on the walls, raiding the pantry for cookies. Calling me by my first name instead of mommy is such a non issue that it wouldn't even register on my radar screen.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I've corrected my kids whenever they called me by my first name. I don't care what other families do, but I am not comfortable having my child call me anything other than "Mommy" (but I wouldn't object to "Mom" or "Eema" or "Mama" or some other variation or language.)

I think my oldest might have called me "Ruth" a few times as a toddler, but I gently corrected her- still responded of course, but I made it clear that she's supposed to call me "mommy". I'm not sure how I would have handled it had my oldest not been so easy-going and "well behaved." By the time my 2nd was talking, her big sister was calling me "Mommy" all the time, and it never came up at all with DS with TWO big sisters calling me "Mommy"!

My kids know my real name is Ruth, but that's not what they call me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
When my older brother was young (6 or so) he used to call our mom by her first name all the time, and he had a friend over once, and she started calling my mom "mom"
she told her "well, somebody has to!"

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I always jokingly say, "Hey! My name is Mommy!"
My kids call my partner by his first name, though-- he's my oldest son's stepdad and the little guy just picked it up from him, I assume. He uses "Daddy" and "Rob" interchangeably. He doesn't mind. It was very cute when he was a baby.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
My ds (now 6.5) called be by my firstname from about 3.5 - 5. It didn't bother me. And I kind of missed it when he went back to momma.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by seemfrog View Post
When my older brother was young (6 or so) he used to call our mom by her first name all the time, and he had a friend over once, and she started calling my mom "mom"
she told her "well, somebody has to!"

·
Registered
858 Posts
DD has picked up on this from DH and I calling out for each other (like when I'm in another room dealing with a poopy mess...you get the idea).

She'll say, "Da-deeee" and his name when she's calling him, or "Moom-eeee" and my name (with a slight lisp on our real names...she's 2 and it's cute). But if she calls me that in conversation I say, "Who's that? I'm Mommy," or something equally silly. She's too young to understand why Daddy calls Mommy by her first name, but when she gets older I want her to call me Mom (or Mommy, Mama, or whatever...just not by my first name).

·
Registered
118 Posts
My DD gets a kick out of this. I think she likes knowing something she's not "supposed" to know. She'll say it sort of slyly: "I see you ... Marewin." My name's Marilyn. Sometimes when we're talking about names, I'll make a big deal about how my name is Marilyn, but she gets to call me by a special name, Mom.

·
Registered
960 Posts
my dh grew up calling his parents by their first names and got to an age when he felt like he had missed out on something.
our dd calls us "mama" and "papa" but often, "mama shell" and "ilger papa" which are close to our names. this is pretty useful b/c she is so often in make-believe land calling this and that "mama" and i am not always so quick to respond- so, instead she will call "mama shell" and i know that she is talking to me. she also uses it when we are around other parents to keep us straight i guess. pretty sweet, but i think i would be sad if she started to call me by only my first name- i don't know if i would correct her, but maybe just try to bring it back.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
My DD (3) calls me by my first name when speaking to me, but in third person I am mommy, go figure. It doesn't really bother me, it does bother DH though.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
We purposefully taught dd our first names, mainly for safety reasons. So she'll call us by name occasionally, now. I think more because she'll know it gets my attention a little quicker, and cuz it's cute. And it is cute.
Doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
DD will use our names and "mommy" & "daddy" pretty interchangeably. At first she thought she was being naughty, but saw that we didn't really care so she didn't make a big deal. There are times when she'll yell "JESS!" to get my attention and times when DH will say something to me and Amelia will say "Her name is MOMMY"

Good point about the safety issues. I'd actually never thought about that.

The one problem we're having is that every time she talks to my Grandmother, it always begins with "HI FLO!". I don't think my Grammy Flo is crazy about that.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I just say, "You get to call me mommy, no one else can!!!" with a mischevious look like she is really special to get to call me her mommy. I just think it is a special personal thing, but not something to get worked up about.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I'm letting it slide, while asking her to call me Mummy because she's the only person in the world who's allowed to do it. She's definitely calling me by name less now than a month ago.

It seemed to coincide with her really realising that people have names, and so everything in every picture in every book needed to be named (with real NAMES: Gerald, Alexander, Katherine, etc, etc). She was VERY excited to realise that I have a name too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.