Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...does it drive you crazy? DD was *this close* to not napping this morning and I was taking all I had just to keep walking her around in her wrap and singing. Sometimes I feel like I'll go insane if she doesn't take her morning nap. I just want to take a quick shower and get a little breakfast--that's it!
:

·
Registered
718 Posts
The transition of 2 naps to 1 was pretty nuts. But I've survived it twice.
You have to get a bit creative but once you figure it out, it's not too bad.

I about went nuts when my oldest (3.5) gave up naps completely. But after we both adjusted it actually turned out to be a great thing. Now we do crafts in the afternoon while his brother takes a nap.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a 3.5 and a 2.5 yo dk, and babysit for a 14 mo. NONE of them take naps unless I put them in the car. If I try to take them out of the car, they wake up. They really NEED naps and by about 3 pm until bedtime, they are (esp. my dd) are absolutely unbearable. They are hateful, fight constantly, tantrum, etc. and dinner time is NEVER pleasant. I am trying very hard to get them to take a nap at the same time (about 2) so I can get some dinner prep done. I mean if I could get 30 minutes to rejuvenate, I really think I would be a better mother, especially by the time bedtime rolls around.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My ds just turned 3 and is trying to resist nap time. The days I can't get him to nap I want to pull my hair out! I really need time for myself. He goes to bed when we do and wakes up soon after so nap is my only time for myself during the week!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
my dd is 3 and hasn't napped in about a year. I take a shower with her, or have her bring a toy and play in my room while I shower. Or get one before she wakes up.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
My dd doesn't nap regularly and hasn't since she was about 8 months old. I find it easier to think that she won't nap then its a bonus if she does.

Can you find a way to do the things you want to do *with* her so that you don't go without? I have showered with all my children becuase I cannot go a day without showering and I don't feel fresh enough to eat my breakfast if I haven't had a shower first!

When she was little - and now too that she's 13 months I put her in the sing on my back to prepare food if she is being needy and that helps. I sit her on the counter next to me too and give her something to hold or do.

Having other children helps a bit too as they can play or distract the smallest to give you a few moments to do the things that are hard even with someone on your back!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Days when my kids won't nap I usually put in a video for them so that they are at least sitting and resting for a few minutes. I realize that doesn't work for everyone, but it's an idea.

Crystal
Yeah, even if they don't nap "quiet time" is a must!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My daughter never took two naps a day! She only took one. She now hasn't napped since about 2.5

My son took 2 naps a day 'till about 5 months, now he's almost two and doesn't nap anymore either.

It drives me a little crazy somedays because my son is in a big test phase as far as how much he can get away with (he's very strong willed) and some days I'm exhausted by 10am :)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'm a nap nazi. I absolutely insist on naps for everyone (including me) and I turn off all the lights, pull shades, turn off the ringer, etc. I have 4.5yo twin boys and a 2.5yo girl.

My boys went through a brief period of not napping about 6 months ago and it was horrific for everyone involved. I'd rather let them stay up til 9pm than not have them nap.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I love naptime, too. Although, I have to admit, I really liked the transition from 3 naps down to 2 (which was only at 11 months
) I told dh that I was dreading the transition to 1 nap. I love having those 2 nap periods a day to organize my day.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
If I want my DD (10 mos) to nap at all, I have to hold her. Nothing else works, not even the sling. I pretty much roll out of bed in the morning and start doing stuff b/c I never get a chunk of time to complete anything. I just work on things here and there. It can literally take me 4 attempts just to get dishes washed. When I see that DD is content w/ something I try to take advantage of it by getting something done. I'm actually looking forward to the time when she won't need naps at all.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yes, totally relate. My youngest is 5 mos., and just at the age where he's alert for much longer but can't really do much of anything so he gets fussy. When he finally naps, I'm torn between lying down with him, getting some work done, or logging onto MDC . . .

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I usually log on...

I'm a nap-Nazi as well. Both of my kids hate to sleep but really need it or they are climbing the walls by 4 pm. Last week both of them were rarely napping (and then only for a short time) but this week they are both taking long (2 hour) naps at the same time. HEAVEN! So, this is MDC week.

My house is actually much neater when they don't sleep because I usually end up putting the baby in her carrier and cleaning the house, baking, etc. because she hates for me to stand still in it. When they are both sleeping, I usually just vegetate because I enjoy the quiet so much. My DH actually prefers the messy weeks, though, because I'm in a good mood when he comes home. Otherwise I'm like
: when he comes home and I know he's aching to turn around and go back to work.
And he hates work.

I find that it's easier to get through the day now that I've given up trying to take a nap when they do. I'd gotten so used to it that when they had a no-sleep week I was

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.