Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am wondering if someone could direct me to some juicy cable shows about birth? I know they usually suck...but, I'm about to ttc #2 and it puts me in the mood to watch the miracle of life, even if it's totally medicalized. I looked last week, but couldn't find my old faves: Maternity Ward, Special Delivery. Labor and Delivery. Any body know what day/time these are on? Or, are they gone? Any others?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I used to watch A Baby Story on TLC... I don't have TLC anymore, so don't know when/if it's still on.
Not sure it was good for me though... I was like a man watching sports... "No...NOOOO... not the episo----OHHH! Come on man!"

Lately I've just been checking out birth videos from the Library... and making the family watch them hehehe I know they love it, deep down.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hey!

I just went to Discovery Health and TLC online and found schedules... Here are some of my favs (but these are MTN time...)

Dis. Health - House of Babies (GREAT! About midwife/waterbirths) on at 1 and 1:30

Dis. Health - Maternity Ward 9pm

Dis Health - Babies: Special Delivery 10pm

TLC - Baby Story 1 and 1:30

Like I said, just go to the websites for each of these channels and you can find the whole TV lineup!

Kerri

PS Good luck ttc#2!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I just caught the end of House of Babes. I have been trying to figure out when it was on. It was a beautiful VBAC waterbirth. This is the show I have been looking for! I also wanted to add that TLC has a new show called Bringing Home Baby that is on after Baby Story. It is pretty mainstream, but it is still neat to watch parents during their first days with baby. I always laugh at the changing mishaps, which I know will be happening soon to us!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I usually watch a Baby Story and Bringing Home Baby and end up either crying or yelling at the tv screen. Its really hit or miss when it comes to natural births! But it is refreshing to see them taping more natural births, including homebirths!

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
Life channel has those birth stories, but a large portion of them are induced. c-sections, and epidural births. So far, the natural ones are few and far between, but the natural ones I have seen on the show are the only births that go smoothly!!!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I wonder if I can add JUST TLC to my basic cable... hmm... course dh already hates me watching TV.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discovery Health is touting itself as the baby channel or whatnot during the daytime. I watch it a lot of the time when I don't have any school work to do (since I have no kids yet) and of course since I'm almost in my 4th month I cry like a goon.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~lioneyes~
TLC has a new show called Bringing Home Baby that is on after Baby Story. It is pretty mainstream, but it is still neat to watch parents during their first days with baby. I always laugh at the changing mishaps, which I know will be happening soon to us!
(*chuckle*) And it's not ALWAYS totally mainstream--the first episode of that show that I ever watched was covering the first days at home with a couple who had just had twins (they were the proprietors of One Hot Mama maternity wear, I believe), and they were cloth-diapering, breastfeeding, etc. Planning on EBF too, as they had with their first child--but either way, it is always nice to see a mom breastfeeding twins! (Along those same lines, one of the clients at our massage space is due with triplets and is planning on breastfeeding. I told her right on!)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about that episode! I was totally cheering her on for bf the twins! And someone pretty much said she was crazy for doing that and also cloth diapering. I thought they were a great, happy family.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
On TLC:

Bringing Home Baby (all about the first few days with the newborn)
I really like this show a lot. It shows how new parents cope, what things they face in the first few days, etc.

A Baby Story
(like others have said - a lot of inductions, c-sections, medically 'augmented' births)

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have to give these shows another shot. For the most part I get irritated by the coverage, and well... it seems all calmed down and happy for TV. It's not at all like the natural birth videos I've watched where, women are more naked, more sweaty, and noisy. But whatever... I will try again.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I love these shows for the occasional good story. I think the worst thing is those births where the parents are totally unprepared. I will never forget one where the couple went to the hospital with no knowledge about birth at all. This poor woman was the saddest example of "fighting contractions" I've ever seen. She was on her back in bed, thrashing around like a wild fish out of water, screaming about how aweful it was. And I'm like "of course, stop working against your body, you're making it unbearable!" Then, her husband passed out in the delivery room and she was all screaming at him... it was a traumatic one. She was insanely happy when the baby came out though! Its just hard to see women in more pain than they have to be in. I played with my labor (to see what it can be like for other women) I purposly fought a contraction... man, that HURTS!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.