Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a discussion w/ a friend today about FGM vs. MGM. The other person was saying that the number of nerve endings in the foreskin (20,000) vs. the number of nerve endings in the clitoris (8,000) cannot be used as a reason for why male circ is as bad or worse than a female circumcision. She said because the clitoris is so much smaller in area than the foreskin is, then those 8,000 nerve endings are going to be much more concentrated than the 20,000 nerve endings in the foreskin, which would be spread out over an area as large as an index card. Clitoridectomy would be more painful than foreskin amputation, in her mind, so it's "more" inhumane. Silly discussion, I know. But it led me to wonder, ARE the nerve endings on the foreskin less concentrated than on the clitoris/clitoral hood? I had some idea that most of those nerve endings would be situated around the ridged band area, towards the tip of the foreskin, and if that's the case, then the nerve endings should be just as concentrated as on the clitoris. Anybody know?

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I thought it should make sense that most of those nerve endings should be in the ridged band area. I'm aware of all of the problems circumcision causes, we were just having a discussion about mgm vs. fgm, how they compare, etc. To be sure, fgm also causes loss of sexual function and loss of tissue protection for women, so that's not really a difference between the two?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Dr. Taylor was the pathologist who studied the foreskin. Google Taylor circumcision study to bring up some links.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"20,000 fine touch nerve endings": You never can find a scientific reliable source for it. There are probably >3.000 and <10.000 (Ken McGrath). It is enough to say that there are many many fine touch nerve endings and that the foreskin is more sensitive than the glans for fine touch.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/248240545511361?view=permalink&id=534302533571826

·
Registered
992 Posts
"20,000 fine touch nerve endings": You never can find a scientific reliable source for it. There are probably >3.000 and <10.000 (Ken McGrath). It is enough to say that there are many many fine touch nerve endings and that the foreskin is more sensitive than the glans for fine touch.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/248240545511361?view=permalink&id=534302533571826
Go to www.cirp.org and search Dr John Taylor, or alternatively Foreskin anatomy. Dr Taylor also worked with a Dr (Christopher ?) Cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.