Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to buy this new baby some nice organic, well-made clothes but am not sure where to start. I have seen the stuff at Under the Nile and already have a wishlist going
but where else should I be looking? I don't want to buy too much before it's born and I know the gender, but I do want to have some things on hand that are nicer than the typical stuff from Target. I'm really into onesies, sleepers, and especially gowns for newborns, so it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

Suggestions?

· Registered
1,232 Posts
When ds was a newborn we got some very nice organics from Baby Bunz & Co. They had these wonderful gowns that were great for sleeping. In fact they were those kind of garments that "grow" with your child, and he wore them until he was 3! The had nice baby hats and onesies too, and booties.

I wish we were doing organic this time! We're too poor. And my mom hit a fantastic sale at Carter's outlet and loaded up on baby clothes, probably everything we'll need for the first 9 months. Not organic, but cotton at least.

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Also, wanted to mention that if you have any good childrens' thrift stores in your area, those can be a goldmine for baby clothes. We did that with ds and found some very high quality, barely used (since babies grow so fast) cotton clothes, some even organic.

Gymboree is a great brand because their clothes wash and wear like iron, they last forever. I bought many Gymboree baby clothes that were already used, and we'll be reusing them again for this baby.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mama Lori--I wish I could afford to buy all organic, too! I just wanted some really nice pieces for the newborn stage, when the skin is so brand new. I hate the thought of putting something less than perfect on the baby, you know?

I really love Gymboree clothes, too. In fact, that's almost the only thing my 3-year old wears, but right now the baby stuff at Gymboree is
: . Have you seen their newborn layette stuff? It says "spoiled" across the front of everything. Why would you put that on a baby's clothes?? So until those are gone I'm not buying Gymboree. I imagine once the baby is here and I know whether to buy girl or boy clothes I'll be back there, though.

· Registered
8,846 Posts
If I had known how generous people would be about giving us all their baby clothes ahead of time, I'd never have spent any of my own money on clothes for my babies!! Thrift stores are a great place to find some really nice clothes at decent prices. No way I'd ever spend $60 on an outfit baby will outgrow in a few weeks when I can't justify spending that kind of money on clothes for myself! But if you got the money to blow on it, that's cool, too.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a Once Upon a Child near me that I'm going to check out. I hadn't even thought of looking there for baby clothes.

I couldn't spend $60 on one outfit for a baby, either! Under the Nile had good prices, I thought. $20 for a kimono that the baby will be able to wear for a few months isn't bad. Oh, if only I were rich!

· Registered
1,232 Posts
TwinMom, no I have not seen those obnoxious baby clothes at Gymboree. I haven't looked there yet for baby clothes, I'm always just browsing the clearance racks for my 6 year old. Thanks for the heads up!

But if you can find any Gymboree at the thrift stores, that can be a real score!

· Registered
6,264 Posts
I went to Once Upon a Child the other day I bought A BUNCH of baby clothes (4 NWT warmer outifits + 5 GU cotton fotted PJs + 6 onesies) for a total of 39 dollars!!
They have so much stuff there!! Also beautiful stuff for older kids - I am definetely going back for more

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Most of the clothes I've bought have been from thrift stores and garage sales. Since that's were a lot of my clothes come from, it's hard for me to justify spending $20 on an outfit that will work for a few months.

On Monday I found 4 Hanna dresses, sizes 90 - 70, and priced $1.49 - 1.98. And those were some of the more expensive things I've bought!

I've also received 0 - 24 month hand-me-downs from a friend - this kid is going to have quite a wardrobe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.