Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly food and drug related? There are a lot of "recommendations" made about what is safe and what isn't. I'm just curious to see where your personal comfort zone is -- what will you consume during pregnancy and what will you shy away from?

Alcohol?
Nuts?
Soft cheeses?
Lunch meats?
Soft serve ice cream?
Sushi?
Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)?
Caffeine?
Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)?
OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alcohol?
absolutely no alcohol, until the very end, when I 'may' have half a light beer or equiv. if there is an occasion.

Nuts?
I eat nuts - a good source of protein. No allergies in the family so I don't have a problem with this.

Soft cheeses?
I try and stay away from them

Lunch meats?
I pretty much have an aversion to them at the moment when I make DD and DH sandwiches, though I don't purposly stay away.

Soft serve ice cream?
I try not to, unless I have a major craving!

Sushi?
No sushi - just a california roll or two

I think splenda is better than the others, but I prefer sugar anyway!

Caffeine?
Limited... only if I'm REALLY struggling to get through the day

no... although I do enjoy my eggs over-easy

only tylenol if I REALLY need it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
No artificial sweetneners

was caffeine-free before getting pregnant

not a big drinker so alcohol is irrelevant, would have a glass of wine later in pregnancy to ease prodromal labor or something

I don't do sushi even when not pg.

I made some brownies last night and had one lick of batter, if not preggo I would have had more.

Use OTC meds sparingly, but have taken benadryl twice for severe allergy attack and took tylenol once because DD injured my finger badly-thought it was broke. The tylenol didn't help so I only had that one dose. Try other methods first before resorting to OTC's.

Having some serious lower back pain/hip ache stuff going on today and last night, trying to use a rice sock and avoid taking any pain reliever. I am miserable though.

I don't care for soft cheeses.

I'm not big on ice cream either, though wouldn't shy away from soft serve if that is what is available and I want some.

I ate lunch meat, craved it, with my last pregnancy and have eaten quite a bit this time. I am not swayed by the cautions.

I will continue to eat nuts.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alcohol? I am not really a drinker, so it's not hard for me to not drink. If I were, though, I wouldn't have issues with having 1/2 glass of wine occasionally later in pregnancy.

Nuts? No allergy issues, so I eat them quite a bit.

Soft cheeses? All soft cheeses in the US must be pasteurized, so it's not really a concern for me. However, women all over Europe eat soft cheese, and it's no big deal.

Lunch meats? My biggest reason to limit them is the nitrites and nitrates. I'm not really afraid of listeriosis.

Soft serve ice cream? No issues with it.

Sushi? Not a sushi eater even when not pg.

Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? Big no in my mind. I think they're dangerous, and don't eat them even when not pg.

Caffeine? Women have been using caffeine safely in moderation for thousands of years. I have no issues with moderate consumption.

Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? I've been known to eat cookie dough. However, I make sure to wash the outside of the eggs before I make the dough (where most of the bad bacteria is, anyway), and I would only eat something that I made myself, so I know what's in it.

OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? Very rarely. I once had an ear infection while pg that completely incapacitated me -- my midwife recommended some Benadryl to help get rid of some of the fluid, and it helped.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Alcohol? Never

Nuts? Sure, I've been munching on trail mix all the time.

Soft cheeses? I stay away from them

Lunch meats? Stay away from them too.

Soft serve ice cream? I prefer hard ice cream anyway.

Sushi? Nope

Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? Yuck!!!

Caffeine? I am proud to say that I've given up coffee and it has been PAINFUL!

Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? I never eat raw eggs anyway

OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines I try to avoid taking meds even when not pg. I doubt I'll use anything this pg.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Alcohol? - I drank a little in the beginning, before I tested, though I suspected. I don't worry about small amounts of alcohol, though I'm abstaining at least for a few more weeks, just since I'm paranoid

Nuts? - no issues with nuts - no nut allergies in our families

Soft cheeses? - worried about it when pregnant with my son, but not this time

Lunch meats? - avoiding them in part because of listeriosis or whatever it's called, but also because they just don't sound appetizing to me at all!

Soft serve ice cream? - I never avoid ice cream!!!

Sushi? - I like unagi, veggie rolls, Cali rolls, and octopus salad. I haven't had any yet this pregnancy, but I imagine that I will. I ate so much when pregnant with my son that we nicknamed him "Maki"

Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? - I try to avoid those anyway

Caffeine? - not big on caffeine to begin with, but not doing much to avoid my normal intake (chocolate, occasional regular chai)

Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? - worried about this a lot when pregnant with my son, but not so much this time.

OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? - Rarely use cold medicines, but I do take Lactaid without a concern. I also take prescription allergy meds, which I'm not worried about.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Not too worried about deli meat - heard it said that you were more likely to get hit by a bus on the way to Subway than to get listeria from eating there. Plus I get major salami cravings. Probably wouldn't eat moldy raw-milk cheese or raw fish. I eat peanut butter and almonds like there's no tomorrow while pregnant (and both of my kids like it too, no troubles). I'm always suspicious of artificial sweeteners, plus they are yuck. Alcohol I wouldn't drink while pregnant (though oops, had a few drinks with dh a week before I found out), maybe 1/2 glass for prodromal labor at the very end.
Caffeine I am avoiding - big deal for me, also otc medications...I have some paranoia related to the placental abruption in my last pregnancy and don't want to do anything remotely possibly connected to causing it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, this is certainly interesting...some of this, I had no clue was even a risk...

Alcohol? don't even drink it when not pg

Nuts? no nut allergies w/me or any of the fam, so nuts are fine

Soft cheeses? I don't eat dairy

Lunch meats? Had no clue this was a risk.
: I have been living off of ham sandwhiches for the last 3 weeks, only thing that sounded appetizing!

Soft serve ice cream? don't do dairy

Sushi? not even while not pg

Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? drank diet soda for a bit while giving up regular soda (before pg)...now I don't really drink any soda ...maybe a little sprite to help my belly though.

Caffeine? not much, maybe 1 cup of coffee a week...if that. No other caffeinated beverages...tea, soda, etc.

Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? Allergic to eggs.

OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? Haven't had to take anything yet. I'd pass on Tylenol....its never worked for me, so why bother
If I was absolutely MISERABLE, I might consider cold medicine....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Alcohol? I rarely drink anyway, so this isn't an issue for me. I avoid during pregnancy.

Nuts? There are no histories of food allergies in my family. I don't avoid at all. I do however try to vary my diet during pregnancy so I am not overloading on too much of any one food.

Soft cheeses? If they are manufactured in the US they are required to use pasteurized milk products so technically they are ok although I still avoid things like blue cheese because it still creeps me out a bit.

Lunch meats? Our family is vegetarian so this isn't an issue.

Soft serve ice cream? Don't eat anyway. I wouldn't have thought it was something to avoid though.

Sushi? I make veggie california rolls with nori, veggies, baked tofu, etc. Yummm.

Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? I don't consume these anyway, so not an issue. But I would avoid during pregnancy if I did use these.

Caffeine? I don't do caffeine per se, but drink lots of decaf coffee and espresso drinks so probably getting some caffeine. I also love chocolate and I know that has a little caffeine in it as well. But overall I always opt for decaf.

Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? I don't consume eggs raw anyway
pregnancy is no different.

OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? I feel uncomfortable taking these while pregnant. I have suffered through sinus infections with jackhammer headaches and nasty colds and coughs during pregnancy without resorting to medications. I do try natural remedies although admittedly I can't say the natural remedies are as good as the "real stuff", but work good enough and I just feel more comfortable without taking stuff.
I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone else from taking Tylenol. I just don't personally feel comfortable while pregnant.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'll have a half glass of wine or half a real beer if I really want it...guzzle 2 or 3 N/A beers from time to time, too...my gauge is if I start feeling even the littlest effect of alcohol, that's enough. So, half.

No artificial sweeteners of any kind. I don't get to chew gum hardly at all anymore as a consequence (only double bubble, but it has HFCS in it, which I avoid at all cost, too)

No raw eggs, though I will have ceasar salad if I REALLY want it...but it's usually at a restaurant where they use pasteurized dressing.

Yes on soft cheese, but well-made...like with no growth hormone milk, made by small companies. Yes on lunchmeat, but the kind without nitrates, and only a little bit. I don't eat it very often anyway.

One small cup of coffee in the morning.

No sushi, it's not my thing.

Soft serve ice cream...I ate the heck out of it the last time around in the third tri...if I want it I'll have some in moderation.

OTC meds? Tylenol if I have a nasty migraine and can't get rid of it with another non-drug method. I don't take anything else OTC.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Alcohol?
I don't drink much anyway. So it's not an issue. But no.
Nuts?
Yum.
Soft cheeses?
Yummy. When I was pg with my first I was at a cheese store looking longingly at the brie and other soft cheeses. The man behind the counter asked if I wanted to try anything and I said I couldn't because I was pg. He explained that all cheeses in the US are pasteurized, so it's not really an issue. I now eat them happily. But in moderation, which I do pregnant or not.
Lunch meats?
I do eat them. But I don't eat lunch meat with any regularity. I live near Philadelphia and hoagies are just a way of life here.
Soft serve ice cream?
I don't really like ice cream.
Sushi?
I will eat it when pregnant. I just don't tell my midwife. My feelings are that if you eat at a reputable place and know your food then you are safe. After all, don't Japanese women eat sushi while pregnant?
I don't think these are safe, pregnant or not. So no.
Caffeine?
I don't eat/drink much caffeine. No soda or coffee in my house.
If you know your eggs....
I have taken OTC medicines while pregnant. But I will go out of my way to avoid them as long as possible.

Can you see that I strongly believe in knowing your food and everything in moderation?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Alcohol? I'll have a sip every now and then if we are at a party or something, but I won't sit down with a glass of wine or anything.
Nuts? Yup! Good source of protien
Soft cheeses? Nah, not my thing
Lunch meats? I didn't know these were taboo! I don't eat much
Soft serve ice cream? Just hard
Sushi? No
Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? Don't use them anyway
Caffeine? Not really. I drink decaf coffee anyway, and am not a fan of soda
Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? No
OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? I will if I really need to. Last pregnancy I had a couple of TERRIBLE colds. I tried to hold out, but ended up taking something a couple times

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Alcohol? I'll have the occasional sip of DHs beer and if I had pre term labor I would have a drink or two to relax
Nuts? I do not avoid at all
Soft cheeses? I don't eat it because I'm just not a fan
Lunch meats? I only eat occasionally - like someone else it's not the listeria that concerns me it's all the other crap.
Soft serve ice cream? I avoid because of the sugar not the listeria issue.
Sushi? Not a fan
Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? I avoid ALWAYS
Caffeine? I was weaning myself off before I became pregnant and feel so much better off of it.
Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? I will have the occasional caesar salad.
OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? I ALWAYS do homeopathy.

Keri

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Alcohol? No, although my last midwife recommended Jagermeister toward the end for contractions that seemed to go nowhere if I needed to sleep. I passed though.

Nuts? Yep, love nuts.

Soft cheeses? If it sounded good to me, I probably would eat them.

Lunch meats? Whole Foods carries lunch meats without the nitri/ates (that's my issue with lunch meat, not bacteria). However, the thought of meat right now does this

Soft serve icecream? I guess so, if it sounded good.

Sushi? Don't care for it anyway.

Artificial sweeteners? No, I never use that stuff.

Caffeine? I can't drink caffeinated stuff anyway, they make me sick.

Raw eggs (say in cookie dough or caeser salad dressing)? Love caeser dressing.

OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? Nope. I almost never take this kind of stuff anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsElle07
This is mostly food and drug related? There are a lot of "recommendations" made about what is safe and what isn't. I'm just curious to see where your personal comfort zone is -- what will you consume during pregnancy and what will you shy away from?

Alcohol?
Nuts?
Soft cheeses?
Lunch meats?
Soft serve ice cream?
Sushi?
Caffeine?

alcohol? No. I'm not comfortable with that risk.

nuts? Why the heck not? I never heard of that restriction before. I don't eat them much, but I would if I wanted to.

soft cheese? only if it's pastueurized. Again, I don't eat these normally, so it's not really an issue for me.

lunch meat? Eh. I know I shouldn't, but I sometimes do. There have been exactly 6 cases of listeriosis reported in my area since 2000. That's so small it's ridiculous. The chances are so minimal that like the PP said, I'm more likely to get hit in the parking lot of the deli than to get sick from the deli meat. But deli meat's not healthy anyway, so I don't eat it often.

soft serve ice cream? Another one I've never heard of. Is it a listeria thing?

sushi? Yuck. I don't do raw fish ever.

artificial sweeteners? I don't eat that stuff, ever, but especially when I'm pregnant. It's just not worth it. I'll eat some good honest sugar first.

caffeine? I like the occasional cup of tea, yeah. I don't think it's any harm in the small amounts I drink. I don't drink coffee because it upsets my stomach, though.

raw eggs? If I made it myself, from local free range eggs that I know for sure are fresh, then yeah. I buy my eggs from a local farmer and I can see for myself the freshness and the hygienic conditions. But in a restaurant or something I'd hesitate-- never know where those eggs came from.

OTC medications? I might, if I was uncomfortable enough that I couldn't stand it anymore. I've taken Tylenol during my pregnancies and Claritin, and the occasional antacid. I even took ibuprofen when I had a toothache with DD. Very rarely, and only when I make up my mind that SOMETHING has to be done.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
the only thing i eat off this list is nuts and occasionally sushi. because i am a sushi addict. BUT -it is ok'd by my doctor, and i will eat cooked sushi only while pregnant.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
the only thing i eat off this list is nuts and occasionally sushi. because i am a sushi addict. BUT -it is ok'd by my doctor, and i will eat cooked sushi only while pregnant.
i dont drink at all pregnant or not.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Thanks for the fun questions, MsElle.

Alcohol? Dh is a homebrewer so I'm sure I'll have a sample sip here and there but I wouldn't ever have a whole drink to myself.

Nuts? Why, yes I am.
No allergies in the family but I'm aiming for moderation in everything this time.

Soft cheeses? I LOVE brie and chevre and the blue veined ones too.
: Probably won't do much of them though because I've been having GI issues with dairy lately.

Lunch meats? Don't eat them anyway because there's not a store here who carries them organic.

Soft serve ice cream? Again with the organic issue and the dairy thing, so no.

Sushi? I only eat veggie sushi anyway, so yes.

Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? Never, pregnant or not.

Caffeine? Don't usually anyway but I wouldn't stress over a cup or two if I wanted one.

Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? FIL makes the best homemade caesar dressing and I truly believe the best way to tell if your cookies are going to turn out right is to eat some dough.
:

OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? I try to stick with homeopathics.

Astromom - Jager? Really?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Alcohol?
I'll have a drink occasionally (although it's rare in the first trimester).

Nuts?
Yup, no problem with them, so if I crave them, I eat them.

Soft cheeses?
Blue cheese and feta/greek salad dressings are to only time I crave them, so I indulge when the mood strikes.

Lunch meats?
I mostly avoid because of the nitri/ate issue, but I wouldn't be adverse to it (even with nitri/ates) once in a blue moon.

Soft serve ice cream?
Never knew this was a big deal -- in any case, I prefer the hard stuff.

Sushi?
I'm happy with California rolls. I don't go anywhere reputable enough to eat the "real" stuff.

I always avoid these, although I'll have a stick of gum once in a while.

Caffeine?
I'm working on breaking my soda habit -- quite often I choose the caffiene free varieties, at least... I don't have a big problem with a small amount of caffiene occasionally, though. (Like when I'm craving one of those yummy drinks from Cinnabon.

I have caesar sometimes, but it's probably pasteurized.
Cookie dough is one of those things I don't buy, because I would EAT IT ALL!

I try to avoid these anyway. In pregnancy I would avoid them unless I had tried everything else & was desperate (unlikely).

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Alcohol? Not while pg, not much when I'm not pg
Nuts? Yup
Soft cheeses? Don't when I'm not pg
Lunch meats? Yes, But not the packaged kind. Those are gross. Straight from a deli
Soft serve ice cream? Don't when I'm not pg
Sushi? Don't when I'm not pg
Artificial sweeteners (Splenda/Nutrasweet/etc)? Try to avoid them all the time
Caffeine? Yup, Or else I get migraines and constipated
Raw eggs (say, in cookie dough or caesar salad dressing)? Yup...but try hard not to. And the kind in caesar has been cooked a tiny bit
OTC medications, like Tylenol or safer cold medicines? Nope, but usually not anyway

1 - 20 of 33 Posts