Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want onesies but that's all I can find at most stores. The only shirts I have found are either the long sleeve ones with the hand covers or go with an outfit. I just want plain baby t-shirts. We're hoping to use soakers and longies instead of regular covers a lot of the time and that would look kinda... weird with onesies.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I feel your pain on the non-onesie search... We have been using soakers/ longies too and we're also doing EC. I hate onesies!

If you have a sewing machine or serger, you can just sew the bottoms off the onesies you have. That's what we did. We inherited a lot of second hand stuff for free and I didn't want it going to waste...So I "fixed" it!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritmomma

If you have a sewing machine or serger, you can just sew the bottoms off the onesies you have. That's what we did. We inherited a lot of second hand stuff for free and I didn't want it going to waste...So I "fixed" it!
Sewing machine broken
Although... t-shirt material generally doesn't unravel....if I just cut the onesies neatly..... hmmmmm....

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Wow I was just getting ready to post this! DD has a few T's she's been given as gifts, but the only ones I have found in the store are the plain white Gerber ones...boring! I could dye them but I'm afraid the RIT dye I would use will hurt her skin.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've seen some good 2-pc outfits at very reasonable prices at ross/marshalls/tjmaxx stores. Also check Macy's when they have their one-day sales. I've found outfits for < $5 there.

I actually just bought a soft cozy baby t-shirt for $2 from ross...it says "Baby Boo" I figured it's half of "Booboo" (our silly nickname for the growing sprout) so I got it!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I got a bunch of plain white Carters (I think? or maybe Gerber? anyway, they are side-snap) t-shirts -- super cheap for a package, and then bought a $10 tie-dye kit from Michaels -- they came out SUPER cute, and the color has totally stayed, unlike when I've tried it with Rit dye. They are so cute that I'm going to do it for larger sizes as well!

Mary

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
snip snip! I've cut several onesies - they're just fine. I mean, it's not dressy, but my babies are never dressy.

You might find some "infant kimono shirts" or something like that... the keyword kimono might help. Those are the nice wrap-across style that we like because there's no pulling stuff over baby's head.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm out there searching with you! I went to a department store the other day and asked for 12 month undershirts and the lady looked at me like I was from Mars. "We don't carry boys underwear. . . "

Are you close to a J.C. Penney's? They carry a brand called Wee Essentials, I think. There are three in a pack and you can get them in white to dye or cute little prints of dogs and airplanes. They go up to 40 lbs., or something insane like that. Penney's carries some nicer 12 month t-shirts, too, with appliques and animals on them. I also spend some time at kids' resale shops. You can buy 2 piece outifts there for cheap and just use the tops. It does get easier as they get older.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will have to check our JC Penney's.

Oh, btw I just noticed that Dharma Trading sells white t-shirts all the way from newborn to adult... not bad prices either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts