Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a latex mattress that needs the slats underneath. I got a frame from IKEA, and after 1 year it's garbage. I need something for my son's bed, urgent.

I'd prefer local, Montreal - to save on shipping.

Thanks, Ana

·
Registered
468 Posts
Do you just need the slats that go across?

We have an untreated pine bed that we bought at a furniture store across the street from Ikea when they were closing out. One of the slats had a knot in it and it broke. DH bought a piece of wood at Home Depot that was very similar and cut it to fit.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We need a whole new frame. My DH has nailed all the sides already, and it creaks every time an adult sits on it, my kids stand, we move it...

We also need new slats, as these aren't strong. They're 2 separate pieces, with a rope connecting each slat to each other, so in the middle there's always a gap between the 2 parts.

Thanks, Ana

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am not in your tribe, but I saw your post and....

Check out thenaturalsleepstore.com
We just got ours from there and its great. The best prices we could find.
FREE shipping too.

good luck!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Patrice, but it's an American store, and I need Canadian here. Shipping for furniture is not worth it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do all you natural Canadians buy beds for your kids?

A regular simple wooden bed.

Thanks again, Ana

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Jysk had an utreated pine platform bed in one of their last flyers. with the whole pine beetle thing, there's lots of pine furniture around it seems

fwiw we have a jysk loft bed and it's holding up quite well

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's wrong with pine wood today?

Wha is Jysk? I haven't seen this store around?

Thanks for a lead to somewhere!
Ana

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
there's nothing wrong with the pine wood, it's just that the pine beetles have killed massive amounts of pine forests.
:
apparently the wood is better quality, it's just that there's so much of it right now

jysk is a lot like ikea, they have stores across canada www.jysk.ca

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
We had similar problems with our Ikea bed (stupid design). I fixed it by cutting a 2x4 the width of the mattress & screwing it to the inside of the side rails right in the center of the bed. This forced the side rails to pull in (instead of bowing out like they were doing). It made everything tighter & the slats no longer would fall through & move around.

You said you already nailed it? Try replacing the nails with screws - screws hold better - the squeaking you're getting could be the movement along the nails.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. On their website - Jysk the only non-finished bed is the really simple one for $79. The others are all lacquered, so that would probably be unheallthy lacquer, correct?

My DH used screws. I'm not into those things to use the right words I guess. He drilled them in, on all sides. It's in such bad shape now, that we can't fix it anymore.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the beds at Jysk. Thanks.

The $79 bed, was the size of a toddler bed. It was really low, and nothing to it. We got the Aspen $199 instead of $249. It's a solid wood.

We were considering between the Boho and Aspen, but they had only 1 Boho in stock in Twin and we needed 2 beds.

We'll see how it holds long term, but so far, we're happy.

Ana

1 - 12 of 12 Posts