Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know somewhere, I think I saw the link here, there's a list of things I need to have at the ready. I have POA (
), financial stuff, the kids' savings bonds, medical records...Oh, the title to his precious motorcycle...I can't think of anything else. Anyone?

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I don't know if there is a specific list but just make copies of EVERYTHING. All titles to owned property, vehicles, land, etc. All bank and credit card statements. Any mortgage info. 401K's or any other savings plans. Pretty much all assetts that can be claimed in court. You also want to get your hands on any other kind of info that may come up in court, like arrests, mental health info, criminal records, etc (if any of these apply). Copy any kind of documents you think he might take with him while you still have access to them.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Well I just made sure that I had all my special jewlery (heirlooms) locked in a safety deposit box in my name only.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
It's also a good idea to get your own bank account that does not have his name on it so he does not have access to any money you have. I took my ex's name off my bank account and credit card account right away (he owned a business and was spending a lot of $$ each day) and had him give the credit card back to me so I could shred it. I don't know if it matters because my lawyer told me I am still responsible for 1/2 the marriage debt that accrued before the date we filed for divorce. But it did force ex to have to apply for his own credit card (with a lower limit) and he could not spend any $$ until the card came in (it took about a month).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Let's see… I just dealt with a lot of this stuff, and I'm not sure I did it right, BUT - I either copied or took the following documents, and have them stored at my office:

Recent bank statements
Recent credit card statements
Recent paycheck stubs
Mortgage statement
Car loan statements
Student loan statements
My and my son's medical records
My and my son's birth certificates and SS cards
Wedding certificate
Last year's tax return
Insurance statements and information

-Katy

·
Registered
424 Posts
Also make copies of all loans, utilities etc, anything that has your name on it. When the break is made.. you can have your name removed.. i am speaking from experience. When my ex and I split, I left the home. He then stuck me with an enormous amt $$$ in utilities. After a few months (stayed with a friend) and I finally moved into my own place, I had to pay these before I could have my elec, phone etc. turned on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts