Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a quote for a project I am working on. It is about birth and death, and how you can feel death waiting in the wings at every birth. I think it is told in the context of a birth story that turned out positively, but I am not sure. I thought it could be Peggy Vincent (Baby Catcher), Penny Armstrong (A Midwife's Story) or Ina May (although it doesn't much sound like her) but I can't find it anywhere in any of those books!<br><br>
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.<br><br>
Thanks!<br>
Alexandra.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Could it be Birthing From Within or something by Shelia Kitzinger?<br><br>
I seriously think I have a vague recollection of the quote to which you are referring.<br><br>
HTH

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Look in Spiritual Midwifery, there is a story in there about a loss and a similar quote I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm... I haven't actually read birthing from within, the only thing I have read by kitzinger is her breastfeeding book and I doubt its in there. Maybe I will check out birthing from within for this project though, I have been meaning to read it for a while.<br><br>
I can't for the life of me remember where I read it! It's driving me nuts. I was sure it would be in A Midwife's Story but I couldn't find it anywhere.<br><br>
Alex.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, I will check that out... haven't looked too closely at that one because it didn't seem like something she would say... thanks, I'll let you know if I find it!<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>liseux</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Look in Spiritual Midwifery, there is a story in there about a loss and a similar quote I think.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A friend from Somalia told me thay have a saying there that says something like, "a woman in labor has one foot in the grave."<br><br>
Disturbing, but many people also practice female circ there and that can increase your complications big time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm... I checked "heart and hands", I think I may have been thinking of the birth story about a stillborn baby from there. I read it over and there were a few references to death and birth and how time slows for both... that's not the quote in my head that I had at all, but I could have made the rest up (that sometimes happens to me!).<br><br>
I was thinking about birth happening and death waiting in the wings and being chased away by the baby's cry. Maybe I will just write something myself about that. I am still looking in spiritual midwifery, I checked the ones about loss but didn't find it, it could still be in there somewhere (so many birth stories by so many people) but it doesn't seem to gibe with their whole philosophy so much to talk about death like that... but I am still looking. Thanks...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think it's from The Red Tent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts