Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the Dr. Sears TED + avocadoes and olive oil for about 10 days and completely off dairy for 2 weeks. DD is still having blood in her stools with green mucousy poop. She has terrible reflux that also isn't improving. I
'm not sure how much longer I can keep up this diet. I am feeling really week, run down and losing too much weight. I almost passed out the other day and found out my blood pressure was only 70 over 40.
I need to incorporate more foods into my diet, but I am not sure where to go with it since dd is still having allergy symptoms. Also, I think I need to take a good EFA supp and multivitamin but almost all of them contain something in it that I can't have.
Any suggestions for me? I could really use the help. Ped is really pushing formula.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonlight mom View Post
I have been on the Dr. Sears TED + avocadoes and olive oil for about 10 days and completely off dairy for 2 weeks. DD is still having blood in her stools with green mucousy poop. She has terrible reflux that also isn't improving. I
'm not sure how much longer I can keep up this diet. I am feeling really week, run down and losing too much weight. I almost passed out the other day and found out my blood pressure was only 70 over 40.
I need to incorporate more foods into my diet, but I am not sure where to go with it since dd is still having allergy symptoms. Also, I think I need to take a good EFA supp and multivitamin but almost all of them contain something in it that I can't have.
Any suggestions for me? I could really use the help. Ped is really pushing formula.
The first thing that stands out to me in the Dr. Sears TED is the nightshades(potatoes--sweet potatoes are in a different family).

The second thing that stands out to me is the rice--it is closely related to corn, so if you suspect Corn as a potential allergen...

Avocadoes are a questionable allergen to me--they are often gassed with corny gasses(just something to be aware of).

My suggestion would be to cut out one/all of the above and to replace them with another low-allergen food(since you are already so limited and it's effecting your health in a serious way). My choice would be salmon(for protein and Omega 3's). Your choice might be different.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Is that the ED with white potatoes? As part of the nightshade family, they're highly allergenic. Also, ANY food is a potential problem. If after a week, you don't have improvement, you need to switch foods out. I'm not a big fan of TEDs for BFing mothers. I'm an advocate for taking out the top 4 (dairy, soy, gluten, corn) then after a week with no improvement, take out more foods, once every 5 days until you get improvement. There seems to have been too many mothers on here whose kids react to one of those few foods and it's a problem to keep switching them out. Avocadoes seem to be pretty allergenic as well.

If you're doing turkey, olive oil, sea salt, rice, sweet potatoes, pears, and yellow squash/zucchini, avocado, then switch out lamb for the turkey for instance (or salmon or bison or whatever). Then switch out squash with beets. Switch out rice with quinoa or something.

Make sure you're eating enough of whatever you can have. Whatever meat you're having, eat the meat, use the fat from roasting, make bone broth with the bones, etc. My DS can't have rice or turkey so he'd have been a problem on Dr. Sears' TED as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Is that the ED with white potatoes? As part of the nightshade family, they're highly allergenic. Also, ANY food is a potential problem. If after a week, you don't have improvement, you need to switch foods out. I'm not a big fan of TEDs for BFing mothers. I'm an advocate for taking out the top 4 (dairy, soy, gluten, corn) then after a week with no improvement, take out more foods, once every 5 days until you get improvement. There seems to have been too many mothers on here whose kids react to one of those few foods and it's a problem to keep switching them out. Avocadoes seem to be pretty allergenic as well.

If you're doing turkey, olive oil, sea salt, rice, sweet potatoes, pears, and yellow squash/zucchini, avocado, then switch out lamb for the turkey for instance (or salmon or bison or whatever). Then switch out squash with beets. Switch out rice with quinoa or something.

Make sure you're eating enough of whatever you can have. Whatever meat you're having, eat the meat, use the fat from roasting, make bone broth with the bones, etc. My DS can't have rice or turkey so he'd have been a problem on Dr. Sears' TED as well.
Sounds like great advice!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady TS View Post
Sounds like great advice!

I know. We cross-posted.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Also make sure you're not dealing with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, as that can cause green stool as well. We had that on top of the food sensitivities, even though I didn't have any obvious symptoms of oversupply.

For the blood pressure, make sure you're getting plenty of salt, and plenty of water.

Also, check out www.eatingcultures.com and some of the detox threads around here for some more nutritional healing ideas.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
After the good advice given, I can only think of 2 additions: 1, eat more fat, whatever kind you've got (or if you feel comfortable, add in a new one and seriously chow down, at times when my health was really stressed, I found that I needed a shocking amount of fat in order to feel as healthy as I could under the circumstances, and 2: have you done anything in terms of structural work (chiropractic, cranial-sacral) to see if that's part of the reflux?

And like whoMe said, it's okay to salt your food to taste, I've also seen my need for salt go up or down depending on my health.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Make sure you are eating enough. Keep your supply up and don't get talked into formula for an allergic baby. For us, a food diary worked well since my daughter's bloody stools were intermittent. (She would have several normal poops in between). I tried to rotate foods, write everything down, and get enough to eat. Then I could look at what I had eaten the day before she had a bad day. Eventually I eliminated dairy and soy, but was able to eat other foods. Even the trace dairy in my probiotics was enough to give her trouble though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for all the advice. I definately think I need more fat - I am using EVOO and I think I will cut out the avocadoes for a while. What other sources of fat should I add in? I already tried coconut oil and I am pretty sure she had a reaction.
You guys are so knowledgable!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.