Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself in a strange situation...we just sold our house, and nearly all of our worldly goods are in storage. The moving company will charge us money to get anything out of storage before we actually move. It's taking us longer to find a house in our price range than we thought, so...

...we have no cloth diapers! I thought we'd just use disposables for a few weeks/month until we moved into our house and got our stuff back. But, no house yet, so no cloth diapers! It nearly killed me to buy two large boxes of diapers from Sam's Club (one for each girl). What a waste of money...

We're all-prefold users anyway, so now I'm thinking I'll go a step up (or down, depending on your perpective) and buy a stash of flats and covers to at least get one girl in cloth until we find a house. We may be moving into an apartment until we can get the house, so I thought I could wash flats in the sink and hang-dry to save on laundry, too.

So, where do you buy your flats? What's a good material for flats? If you make them, what sort of material do you buy, and where do you buy it? (I have access to my mom's sewing machine, as we're living with her right now.) For covers: I like pull-ons from granitesmith on eBay, but am looking for non-vinyl side-snapping pull-ons for changing poopy diapers. Where do you buy those?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Are the So-Simples bulky at all? Do the cuffs add much thickness?

I checked out the Walmart $1 fabric table, and all I could find was black gauze. I suppose I could make black diapers, eh? No stains! The Goodwill store didn't have much in the way of flannel sheets, either.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Maybe you can buy some used Prefolds off the Trading Post to get you by until you get a new house. Even if you bought a full set of PF brand new and a few covers it will be cheaper than sposies in no time.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I know I just saw some flats on the TP...they were a great price too
Really- flannel isn't that cheap when you are making flats...a yard is $2.57 at my wal-mart- and that gets me a 36" flat... or a 30" flat w/ a little extra... so they end up costing about $3 each...not worth it IMHO. Look on the TP- there are lots of prefolds and flats and probably covers too- I just founf 2 Lg Rikkis for less than $10 shipped!! Maybe do an ISO post there too
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I really like the sidesnapping nylon covers at www.weebees.com. I think they are modeled after the Alexis Sidesnaps that aren't made anymore. We've had excellent luck with them.

They do sell flats too, I think they have the Australian terry squares which people there seem to like. Haven't ventured into flats myself yet. I'm spatially challenged so afraid of the whole folding thing.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all. Keep it coming. For those interested, diaperware.com has flats for $1/ea if you buy 12 or more, and so does zannadu.com.

It helps that I needed new prefolds for my baby anyway, as I was in the in-betweenie phase after infants and before premiums. I may buy some regulars and covers, and then I was just getting something we needed anyway, eh?

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Diaperware is great and she has a really good selection for flats! What about Motherease covers ... I know with my ds I can snap all but one waist snap before putting it on him and then pull it up, leaving me only one snap to do while he's trying to escape.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a bunch! These suggestions are great. Anyone make their own?

By the way, I changed my username mid-thread. (That freaks some people out--nope, you're not losing your mind.
)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.