Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that caught some peoples attention.....

But what I'm wondering is how all you co-sleepin mammas KEEP YOUR BABY IN THE BED??!?!?!?!

Maybe my lil guy is really the exception, but he NEVER stops moving... all day long.... at night he still has to be strapped into his bouncy chair to fall asleep & hes almost a year old. Hes too big to be swaddled...

I really want him to be a cosleeping baby again, but when I try to get him to lay down he just wants to thrash around and crawl away... He actually fractured my rib when I was trying to cuddle him and keep him in bed the other night..... My bed is on the floor, so falling isnt too much of an issue, but he WONT STAY IN BED to even have the chance to fall out!

HOW do you do it?
for what its worth, it takes 3 nurses and me to hold him when he does get a shot... hes a STRONG lil 1 year old...

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
I don't know. I'm always surprised when people have babies who get off the bed.
That said, our bed is only for sleeping. There isn't any playing that goes on on it. I guess the business only attitude is strong.
Even though we co-sleep our bedroom isn't really everyone's bedroom and my kids know it. Not saying that's the issue with you guys but maybe that's what has solidified it for my kids? Who knows! Hope you can get it figured out soon!

BTW He's freaking cute! Reminds me of my nephew actually.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
That's the stage where we moved him to a crib. Sorry I can't be more helpful - DS is two now, and he's still a darling cuddle when he wants to cuddle, but by and large, he wants to sprawwwwwl, and kick, and roll... And he did fall out of bed a couple times.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
I don't know. I'm always surprised when people have babies who get off the bed.
BTW He's freaking cute! Reminds me of my nephew actually.

He is so freakin sneaky, he backs up to the edge of the bed & creaps his feet over and looks at you waiting to see if you notice. Even if you do and tell him that babies stay on the bed, he laughs really big and plops himself over the side. I think I will have my hands full.

& thanks for the comment on the cuteness factor... that pic is actually almost 6 months old... probably I should update it lol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
That's the stage where we moved him to a crib. Sorry I can't be more helpful - DS is two now, and he's still a darling cuddle when he wants to cuddle, but by and large, he wants to sprawwwwwl, and kick, and roll... And he did fall out of bed a couple times.
I wish I could get a cuddle... I have the least snuggly baby in the world... & hes been in his crib for a while now, but only because I cant find a solution... but I'm going to be moving soon, so now its not just mommy wanting a warm baby body in bed, it would be great for space too!

thanks for the help though!

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Maybe it has to something to do with our bed height. Ours is not on the floor (though it is against the wall which is where DD2 sleeps and then me and then DD1 and then DH). It's more risky for my kids to move around.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Shackles R Us.

Seriously, I am in the boat of "Other kids what?" DD doesn't tend to try to get off the bed during sleep time. We do play on the bed a lot, and during the day (not at naptime) she will indeed try to climb down (new thing though). Mostly she is happy to crawl around, roll, chase the cats, look out the windows or jump. Sleep time she will sometimes roll or kick or fuss around in circles, if she is not wanting to fall asleep, but that is the extent of it.
And our bed is nowhere near the floor. We had it on a frame where the top of the bed came to my hip. So 3 feet high? We took it off that recently as she started the climbing bit, so now it is probably 2 feet up or so.

·
Banned
1,860 Posts
I understand wanting to co-sleep for the attachment and for the extra space.

I think, though, that when your child breaks your rib when you try to keep him in bed, that child is clearly communicating that he would rather not be in the bed with mama.

A crib can be a way of providing some safety and comfort while respecting a child's inability or unwillingness to sleep on the parent's schedule or in the parent's space.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol yeah the rib breaking was probably mostly my fault lol.... I do think sometimes he wants his own space, but other times he looks so comfy and woozy-snoozy in by bed, that I just dont understand why as soon as mommys head hits the pillow someone throws on the disco balls and screams PAR---TAY! in his head?!?!?!

I havent tried the sidecar thing with his crib... maybe that would help.... the one side of his crib that raises & lowers is easily removed, so maybe I can put him in his crib to go to sleep & then remove it when I come to bed.... maybe by then he'll be so good & asleep he wont care....

But on another note, like I said he needs to be fastened down to be still enough go to sleep.... & hes already past the weight limit for his bouncy seat & his little head is almost off the end of it... Any one else with wigglers that need a helping hand to be still? what do you people do?

& for all of you whose kids dont try to esca-pay when you so much as blink.... can I rent your kid to teach mine to chill out? He only seemed to want to walk after watchin another girl do it... maybe if he sees your kid sleep he'll think its what all the cool kids are doing....Maybe it would help if I pretended I REALLY didn't want him to.... :
s head in confusion:: lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.