Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I have a small kitchen. I am wondering
where everyone puts thir kitchen compost. Right now we put scraps in a bowl on the sinks edge, but it's unsightly,
: but I do it anyway. I've read requests for under the sink compost bins, does anyone have one, are they worth it? We have daily scrap, about 2-4cups worth...
TIA

·
Registered
279 Posts
My stepmom just puts hers in a washed out ice cream bucket with the lid sealed tight. When it's full she takes it out. Don't know if that helps or not- but I was excited to find something I could actually comment on. LOL

Edited to add: She keeps the bucket under the sink.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I have a lidded container from Target that I love. the ice cream bucket is a good idea too. Perhaps a tupperware with a lid could work too.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have an under-the-sink one that I've been too unmotivated to install. I just keep it on my counter next to the sink. We have SO much---I need it handy. A friend of mine puts hers in a plastic ice cream tub, too. I also have seen it done in an old ice cube box w/a lid--like the hotel kind. I'd really like it if I could just throw the scraps out my sink's window---straight into the composter. It's scary just how lazy I am

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
RealGoods.com has 2 different small ones - a white ceramic counter top one and a slightly larger green one for the floor, both with vents and filters. I keep planning to buy one but in the meantime I put it in a plastic bag for a few days, then take it out. Gross, and unsightly, and a bad use of plastic. I'm so lazy!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
We use an old cooking pot (crappy aluminum that we didn't want to cook in) that has a bucket-style handle so you can hold it from above when carrying it, and the handle doesn't take up a lot of room when the pot is sitting under the sink.

The problem with an open container is that you can smell it. The advantage of an open container is that you can smell it and therefore remember to take it out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts