Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two questions. First, What do you STORE your cloth diapers in? I can't imagine ALL of you having changing tables, so what do you use to keep your diapers in after you wash them and want them handy to use? I do not have a changing table as I have been told I wont need one. But I still need ideas as to an easy place to store everything. I've begun building up my stash and have them stored in some big bags right now, and I can see they will need sufficient space wherever it is that they are put. So what do you do?

Secondly, I know this is vague, but what do you consider to be a sufficient newborn stash of cloth diapers? This can be anything from prefolds to all in ones. I hope to have some of everything, but Im curious as to what other people have found to be sufficient for them. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
We have one of those plastic things with 3 drawers and we keep our diapers in that

For a newborn... I would say 30-36 diapers of SOME sort. We have 30 KL 0s, a few misc WAHM pockets and AIOS and 3 BG aios. Plus 8 NB covers and 4 small covers (I plan to get 2 more).

Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I kept them in the dresser.

I had 36 of the green edge infant prefolds and 24 of the blue edge bigger ones.

I had 6 Bummi Aplix covers in each of small, medium, and large, but in hindsight I would have gone halfsies between small and medium and bought the large later if needed. Also 3 snappies in colors. After 6 months I'd get 3 more in another color so I could tell which ones were the new ones.

I bought all these at once from katieskisses.com as a package kit. We were very happy with them and just this would have been enough for a looong time.

I had 2 small bummi wet bags (for diaper bag), 1 medium (hardly ever used) and then 2 large (used in flip top trash can as a liner fr holding dirties.) I took a bag to Target and bought the trash can it fit for a diaper pail.

I got a mess of thin washcloths for wipes in baby patterns.

Then I had all the fitteds I was sewing for fun and to make CD more appealing to DH. Perhaps another dozen? I made them in HIS favorite critters -- dinosaurs and so on. He just had to stick them on and stick a cover on -- and because they were so similar to disposables he came round quickly. Eventually he mastered the prefold.

Then I had Mother of Eden training pants when I felt she was ready. Six of the smallest, then 6 of the next size. We used the homemade inserts in them to help them be more absorbant for night wear, and then used them with no insert as she got better at night time potty.

She had a mess of 2T/3T panties that I took in on my sewing machine for day wear

She was done with EC before we went to more sizes of trainers.

HTH!
A.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
We have one of those plastic things with 3 drawers and we keep our diapers in that

We use the same, only ours has 5 drawers and I have a basket on top with cloth wipes, snappis, a changing pad, and wipe wash in a little spray bottle (for cleaning bums).

For our newborn stash, we had 18 prefolds, 12 fitteds, and 8 diaper covers, as well as 6 one-size pocket diapers (Happy Heiny). Also, two Snappis, two dozen cloth wipes, two small wet bags for the diaper bag, and two pail liners for a kitchen size garbage can. And two dozen fleece (stay-dry) diaper liners to keep baby's bum from getting all chapped and to keep moisture away from delicate skin.

It's also good to make sure you have two good changing pads that you can machine wash with your diapers. I like the Mommy's Touch changing pad, which rolls up nicely to fit in the diaper bag.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I don't have a changing table, but have a changing pad on top of her dresser. I have all of her diapers and covers in a top drawer of the dresser with a pail sitting right next to the dresser. I didn't think it would be necessary to have a set place for changing dipes, and I guess it's not (we still change them on the floor or the couch sometimes) but she loves laying on her changing pad. As soon as I lay her down there she starts smiling (could be because she loves getting naked too). I have this mobile (http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1007/.f) hanging over her changing pad, and she just smiles and coos at it the whole time. It's really adorable!

Anyway, my newborn stash including 36 prefolds, 2 BG one size dipes, a few random fitteds, 2 newborn covers, and 3 Thirsties XS covers. I would like to get at least one more cover in XS. The newborn ones didn't fit for long, so I wouldn't get more than 2. I would like to have a few more BG and fitteds, because she goes to a baby sitter 3 days a week while I'm in school and these are the diapers they use while I'm gone. But just for my own use, we have plenty of diapers. The BG are good for us for overnight. She doesn't stay asleep with a wet diaper when she's wearing the prefolds, but she doesn't feel the wetness as much with a BG and will sleep longer with that on.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
I I have this mobile (http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1007/.f) hanging over her changing pad, and she just smiles and coos at it the whole time. It's really adorable!

That is a really cool idea, and I bet it makes diaper changes easier too! I want to make one. My only question is what do you hang it from? a hook in the ceiling??

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I have something like this cube shelf that I'm planning on using. Mine is 4 squares by 2, instead of 3x3, but same basic thing (for dipes and baby clothes, etc).
I will put it near the bed, and use a change pad on the bed (that's the plan for now, anyway).

I have 36 newborn sized diapers (plus 12 nb pf's, but I'm not planning on using the pf's. I didn't like them with ds. Just thought I'd have them "just in case"). I've been told that my stash is more than adequate

I have:
6 nb/sm aio's
6 2-in-ones (softbums- they are OS but get REALLY tiny- as small as KL0's for sure)
17 nb fitteds
7 pockets
6 covers

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariekitt24 View Post
That is a really cool idea, and I bet it makes diaper changes easier too! I want to make one. My only question is what do you hang it from? a hook in the ceiling??
DH tied the string to a screw and screwed it into the ceiling. It's not too noticeable and she just loves looking at it!

ETA: I will add that it is a huge help to have a place for all this stuff. When we first started, the dresser wasn't here yet so we were just doing it wherever. It was a pain changing her in one place and having to take the diaper elsewhere to put it in the pail. It's really great having a place to change her where her diapers are close by as well as the pail to throw the dirty ones in.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
We have a dresser with a change pad on top. Personally wouldn't like not having a set place to change him - it's so much easier when everything is right there. I keep the prefolds in a basket beside the dresser & the covers in one of the drawers.

We found 36 prefolds were plenty to wash every 3 days. In fact I rarely get to the bottom of the basket.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
In diferent times we've used a dresser drawer, a nightstand, or just a pile on the closet floor.

Even now that we're done diapering I have a nightstand drawer with some stray covers and learners in it, and a dresser drawer full of extra sheets has a couple dozen sposies squished in the back.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal85 View Post
I don't have a changing table, but have a changing pad on top of her dresser.
Us, too. I keep all her clothes and diapers in this dresser (I'm not big into an excess of baby clothes, so her clothes take up on drawer and her diapers & wipes take up the second, with shoes and socks and onesies in the very top 2 small half-drawers).

As a side note: she's the first I've had an actual spot for changing diapers. (I never bought a changing pad for the top of a dresser before her.) I find it's helped a lot with establishing "diaper changing time." I have a lot less of the fidgeting that I had with the other kids, who I primarily changed on floors or beds, and I think it's because she knows that when I lay her on the changing table (which I only do for diaper changes), it's time to change her diaper, period. Anyway, not positive this is the reason, but I have a feeling it is, since she's a pretty strong-willed personality otherwise and loves to run away from me and have her way on almost every other issue!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use a large woven basket - similar to a laundry hamper, but much nicer looking. When I'm done washing and drying, they get folded and placed in there....I find it easy to see everything, and keep extras like disposable liners and such in there too. I like the idea of using a three (or more!) drawer shelf....I'll give that a try next!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I use a rubbermaid tote with a lid, and I put my wipes in a recycled pampers wipes container (actually 2 of them, since I have so many wipes.) I just fold them in half and lay them in. Easy, peasy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariekitt24 View Post
I like the idea of having a large shallow woven basket maybe to set on top of the dresser to keep dipes handy in.. where does one find such a thing?
A yarn or quilt shop?

I use a basket too. But ours is on the floor in the bathroom (where I change our children on a changing mat). The basket houses the cloth wipes, snappis, diaper cream, and clean wraps. I have a set of three matching (to each other and coordinating with our bathroom decor
) large size wet bags (pul inside/cotton outside). Two hang on a towel rack above the basket and house the diapers (one for DD and one for DS). The third is for the dirty dipes and it hangs on the linen cupboard handle. Wool soakers and wraps hang on the towel rack above the hanging wet bags to air them out. It isn't perfect, but it is what works best for us in our small space. Upstairs (where we sleep and where we have no bathroom and therefore nowhere to flush/rinse poop or moisten wipes) I have another changing mat and a few newborn size diapers on the dresser next to our bed-I go down and get a warm wipe or two when middle of the night changes happen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Right now we're staying in my mom's basement because we're in between houses, so our stash is folded and stacked on top of a rubbermaid storage tub. It actually works really well!! We change dipes on the bathroom floor on a thick blanket I folded in half lengthwise so it's like a changing pad (or we just throw a blanket on the floor wherever).

Before the move, we actually had a dresser with changing pad on top that we used for ds1 and a changing table that was given to us with changing pad on it. For upstairs changes we had dipes in the outgrown moses basket on the dresser and did changes on the changing table. Downstairs we had a pack n play set up as a changing station, but we won't put that back up, it's something we do for the newborn stage.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have stackable rubber bins that I use in the closet.
For newborn I had 18 permiee, 24 infant prefolds, 4 swaddle-bee newborn, 1 wiggle worm nb cover 4 so simple covers, 1 wool gown, 3 wool pants(Oct baby).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.