Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is in a this HUGE box because I got it cleaned and saved after the wedding...I'd like my daughter to wear it someday (it is my hope...start a tradition...my mom saved hers and wanted me to wear it but it was all yellow and stuff- she never even cleaned it after her wedding)...So it really doesn't take up TOO much room, but it still takes up a lot of space.

Anyway, I was just curious where everyone keeps theirs if they saved it. My neighbor asked me because she never got hers cleaned- it's been hanging in her closest... Did you save yours, or did you sell it, or donate it? I told her if it means a lot to her have it cleaned and saved.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I saved mine...because my friend made me feel guilty for thinking about selling it!
: It's currently stored in my parents basement in a garment bag. It was never cleaned either, so it's not going to store well.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Mine was cleaned and put in a preservation box. It is big and bulky, right now it is in DD's closet but I will be moving it soon. We have a lot of closets in our house so I can always find a place to put it. Ideally I wanted it made into a nice baptism gown and then some hankies for their wedding but DD was baptized in DH's gown.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Mine is a simple cream colored sleeveless slip dress type. It hanges in the back of our closet. because it is cream if it gets discolored maybe it won't matter, but I have two boys, so no one else is going to be wearing it!

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Mine was preserved and is in a big box at my mom's house. My dress was beautiful and simple enough that I think it'll be timeless. We move too much to haul it with us everywhere we go, so my mom offered to keep it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I got married last June and my dress is still hanging in my closet. I tried on a bunch of huge puffy expensive dresses but wasn't thrilled. I ended up making my own. Bought a pattern, tweaked it a bit. Found a fantastic deal on material. (50% off, spring sale!
). I did most of the work myself, with my Mom's help. His side of the family was a bit sceptical when they heard the plan, so they were pleasantly surprised the day of the wedding.
Total cost of dress was $100, so I don't feel bad about having it hang in my closet forever. Actually, I think I'll get it out on our anniversary... (Just for at home of course.)

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Mine hangs in the back closet, in a dust cover bag.

There was a scandal aways back about dry cleaners that offered packaging services - you aren't allowed to open the box or the guarentee is bad, so they weren't actually cleaning the gowns.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
It is in the dry cleaner box wrapped in acid free paper on the top shelf of one of the bedroom closets. I opened it and looked at so I guess my guarantee is no good. I am hoping my dd will want to wear it some day. I would have loved to have worn my moms but she weighed all of 98 lbs (I weighed 135 at the time) when she got married and her dress was all yellow from hanging in grandma's closet unprotected.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My mom made my dress, she crocheted the lace that is on it. She also embroidered, with a machine, not by hand, mine and my husbands zodiac signs on the inside seam. It was cleaned and preserved, so it is in a good size box. It has always, so far at least, fit in our closets, right now it is in our linen closet. since we always have room on those top shelves, i am short so they aren't useable...We have that up there and my grandma crocheted a edging around a sheet set for us. We haven't used them, but it is another thing that I can't get rid of. I am afraid that the cats/kids/dog would destroy the sheets, but one day, maybe hand these things done to my daughters before they have pets/kids. The dress is simple and nice and my mom did the embroidery so one day they could put their signs on it and wear it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My mom wanted to have mine cleaned and boxed, so its stored at her house. No daughters yet... so who knows if it will be worn again. But I would like to pull it out and see it one more time, someday... I like the idea of turning it into something else meaningful. Hmm, projects to think about!

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I have it stored in a garment bag on a high shelf in our laundry room. I never got it cleaned or preserved.. it's been almost 4 years. Do you think it's too late to have that done??

·
Registered
251 Posts
My dress is pretty poofy, since it had eight layers on the bottom half and a thick removable train. The train is not long, only another foot approx. but it is thick and some what bustle like. Well, it is all folded up and squeezed into a box for a large computer monitor. (blushing) I want to keep it, because it is not nice enough to donate. It was never cleaned, I wore it twice (wedding- an all day affair, and a reception in the city we moved to- 1/2 a day.) I can't throw it out, or donate it, so I am keeping it. I think it will be a neat thing for my kids to try on, and I also want to try and stay the same size. Which reminds me, I should pull it out one of these days and try it on.

I have heard you can rise your wedding dress in the shower and hang it outside to dry, but I am too nervous for that.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine is in a suit case in our storage room.
It has been drycleaned, but that was four years ago. Never mind that our wedding was 13 years ago.
The dry cleaner told me that I could have turned it inside out and washed it in my own machine on a light cycle, and hung it to dry beacuse the beading was so well done, and there was not that much of it.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I forgot to have mine cleaned
: When I got out of the limo when we got to our hotel the bustle came unhooked and part of the train fell in a puddle. I really should have had it cleaned! I love the idea of having it turned into a quilt, I've heard of people having that done. Its currently in a dust bag hanging in our spare room closet. The huge fluffy petticoat is stuffed in a bag sitting next to the dress and my gorgeous beaded satin wedding shoes & the tiara are in a box on top of DH's dresser. I really should make a decision on what to do with it all and then actually DO it rather than be stuck keeping it as is just because its from my wedding. I like the idea of donating it, but I had this fantasy idea that my daughter might want it someday. Of course the chances of her wearing the same size or close to it are pretty small

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine is cleaned/ boxed and under our bed. I just opened the box and looked at it a few weeks ago. Our preservation instructions said I should refold it a little every once in awhile, so it wouldn't have the same creases for 20 years or whatever.

I keep going back and forth about whether to keep it or not. It wasn't too expensive and wasn't like "the perfect dress" or anything. I chose it because it was the most flattering and I liked the fabric. It would be nice to see a grand-daughter wear it someday, but that is a long time to wait!
Plus, as a previous poster said, the chances she would have the same style/size aren't super great. Hmmm...

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Mine was cleaned and boxed in acid free everything and then shrinkwrapped. Its stored at my mothers. I don't really want it, and I don't really want my Dd to wear it. (Mostly for the reason that I hope she won't be wearing a 24 when she gets married like I was) but I also am not ready to give it away yet.
:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckyTate View Post
Mine is in a suit case in our storage room.
It has been drycleaned, but that was four years ago. Never mind that our wedding was 13 years ago.
The dry cleaner told me that I could have turned it inside out and washed it in my own machine on a light cycle, and hung it to dry beacuse the beading was so well done, and there was not that much of it.
I thought I was the only one who put a wedding dress in a suitcase!

I didnt have mine cleaned, it just hung in the closet for 7 years and when we moved I put it into a large suitcase and there it sits. I have 2 boys, so dont anticipate it will be worn by anyone in my family again!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts