Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week (I am in week 25) I am soooo tired all of a sudden. I work full time and seriously, the only things that I am able to force myself to do are things with clear deadlines. Everything else is sliding. Not sure how to motivate myself at this point as I have to keep going strong at work on into September! Sigh. How is your energy level?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
From a midwife I know. :) I thought it might make you feel better.
love.gif

Quote:
24-28wks is a very common time to complain of exhaustion, breathlessness, chapped lips, and a racing heart. It is actually indicative of a GOOD thing. It means that your blood volume has increased apropriately, and is trying to make hemoglobin to fill the new blood volume.

These symptoms are common at 28wks because of physiologic changes. Your blood volume doubled in the last week or two and it has made you anemic. Blood is heavy, so you also probably gained 8 or 10lbs this month because of the weight of your blood.

Between 24 and 28weeks your blood volume expands, but the componants of it are the same, so it's like you've added a great volume of water to your blood. Now your body has to play 'catch up' to fill the volume with red blood cells and platelets...etc.

So, what that boils down to is that you have probably become anemic. It makes you tired, makes your heart race, makes your skin dry, and makes you feel generally crummy, oh yea, it also makes you gain about 10lbs just from the increase in blood volume. Blood is heavy.

Feed your body good dark green foods. Take a whole foods iron supplement like ferrous glucomate or chlorophyll. Talk with your care provider about wether or not they think you need your iron count checked.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh my, thank you SO MUCH. My midwife had mentioned the blood doubling thing too but more in terms of needed hydration and exercise. It all makes perfect sense when you take a moment to think about it though, doesn't it?! The weight gain part was reassuring too as it's been like a run away train and I am really trying to keep it in check. Again, THANK YOU!
smile.gif

·
Registered
633 Posts
I know that I am not the OP, but THANK YOU, earthylady. That was so good to read. The chapped lip/ dry skin thing was something that I had noticed, too. It all makes sense.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I am 25 weeks too (due 10/1) and the past week or two I have hit a wall int terms of energy. I was walking 4 miles a day and around 20 weeks my energy declined. Now I feel like getting off the sofa to go pee is a marathon battle.
eyesroll.gif
I hate being this way but am just trying to let myself rest and sleep as much as I need to. I'm also noticing more neurotic symptoms.... like feeling strong aversions to foods that I wasn't feeling at all before.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the info. I don't remember being this tired at this point with dd. I'm off of school for the summer and had plans to get the house ready, but I can't get off the couch! Luckily for me, as long as I can still interact with her, dd is good playing on her own. I'll show this to my dh to prove that I'm not just being lazy
winky.gif

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My energy is still super low, I'm heading into week 27. Trying to be patient and hope for an upswing! The hardest part has been taking care of the kids and making dinner every night after a full day of work, because I am so tired then I can barely keep my eyes open! DH's work has been horribly busy and stressful lately so he finishes between 6:30 and 7 and just wants to sit on the couch and watch TV once dinner is over. Sigh! This too shall pass. I just try not to think about having 3 children at that time of day as I get a little overwhelmed and freaked out. Have to tell myself, I will have more energy when the baby comes!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
ZOMG! Thank you so much for this... I actually logged on to ask this very question and found this right here. I was going to ask who else is exhausted and how can I start simplifying my life right now, which I will still ask... but wow! This makes a whole lot of sense and I'm so happy for this explanation, as I don't feel quite as much like a lazy bum, leaving work early today because I can't stay awake. LOL

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am 26 weeks and right there with you ladies. I laid down to rest this afternoon and I still feel exhausted. I wake up in the morning motivated and by noon I am completely wiped out. UGH. THat stuff about the blood volume makes sense. It is funny how at my 4th pregnancy I am still learning stuff. I knew you gained more blood volume I guess I never knew the peak was around this time. Guess I will drink more water and make those toasted Kale chips I was going to make this week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.