Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hello Ladies, I'm crashing your forum in hopes that someone has a good idea for us!  We usually travel to the Outer Banks for our summer vacation at the beach, but this year I just can't do it with our 2 young kids, it's way too far (from NJ).  I have been looking online at Delaware and Maryland beach locations but I don't know anything about them.  I would like to be able to walk to the beach from where we are staying and a pool is a plus too.  And of course finances are tight this year too, so if you have an affordable suggestion that would be awesome! </p>
<p>So, oh wise ones, any recommendations? </p>

·
Registered
45 Posts
<p>I dunno where exactly for you to stay, but bethany beach in DE is where I usually go. Ocean city, MD (about 10 minutes more south) is only good to go to for bars/puttputt and such, but is much more for teenagers/young adults. We like bethany because it's more for families. I've been hearing that I should go up to NJ to check out Cape May! Maybe you'd like to check that out instead? I use vrbo.com to find a privately own home when we travel. Good luck!!!</p>

·
Registered
496 Posts
<p>I much prefer the DE beaches over Ocean City, MD.  Ocean City is way too crowded, congested and dirty for my taste.  I hate having it sit in traffic to get somewhere when I'm on vacation!  They do have a lot more activities to offer than the DE beaches but they are mostly for older kids and adults.  I would look at Bethany, Rehoboth and Dewey Beach for some vacation plans.  I've been to Rehoboth several times and really liked it, they have a lot of outlets there for shopping too!</p>

·
Registered
231 Posts
<p>Another vote for Delaware beaches over OC - we really love the small town of Lewes, which is close to Rehoboth. We always go camping at Cape Henlopen State Park so I don't have a hotel/motel to recommend, but here's the Lewes Chamber of Commerce's website: <a href="http://www.leweschamber.com/" target="_blank">http://www.leweschamber.com/</a></p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
<p>Definitely choose the DE beaches over Ocean City. We always go to Bethany because it's nicer, and way better for families. Rehoboth is wonderful, also. OC tends to be high school kids and young adults, and Dewey is full of college-age kids boozing it up. Bethany doesn't have a boardwalk with rides, but you can get that in Rehoboth, which is just a short drive. We went a house and find that way more economical than staying in a hotel. You can cook your own meals, which saves on eating out. Most places are within a short walk to the beach.</p>

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thanks for all of these replies :)   We are looking into Ocean City NJ as well as the Delaware Beaches.  You guys are the best, hurray for MDC!</p>

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
<p>We love Bethany as well & my family has a house there - it would be my first choice.  but we also stayed in Sea Isle City NJ which was about a 20 min drive south of OC NJ & really loved it there as well.  It was quiet, but we could easily drive to get to the attractions.  Have fun!</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts